PDA

View Full Version : When wil I f%&$ing learn?!?

webiggy
03-15-2004, 08:51 PM
My new mantra - I will not slowplay trips; I will not slow play trips.

Trix
03-15-2004, 09:37 PM
I almost never slowplay anything. Last time was flopped Quads in a small pot /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dylan Wade
03-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Stop slowplaying everything. Slowplaying is occasinally an +EV move, but it's so rarely +EV at small stakes that you'll be better off always betting your hands for value. It seems straightforward and boring, but such is small stakes poker.

I guarantee, if you're routinely slowplaying trips right now, you'll see a huge profit improvement when you stop slowplaying. This is not because less people will suck out on you, but because you have a damn nice hand, and a damn nice draw, and plenty of players who will pay to see your hand. Don't be scuured that they'll fold... Take their money!

Many players are upset when their good but vulnerable hands are broken by loose callers. I hear, "They keep calling me down to the river!" all the time. But, ironically, the same player tries to slow play his invincible hands. Use the information you've gathered! Your opponents will try to suck out on you on the river...... make that pot huge baby!

blackaces13
03-15-2004, 09:54 PM
How about waiting for the turn to raise? Is this slow playing? If I hit top set on a rainbow board and there was a bet and a raise to me in LP I wouldn't 3 bet it. I'd go for a raise on the turn. Does this make sense?

Nick B.
03-15-2004, 10:04 PM
I just had a hand on party that I had QJ, the flop was kk7 or something and it got checked around. turn was an A, it checked around again. The river was a T, then the sb came alive and bet, I raised, he reraised and showed K2. Another successful slowplay as any bet previous to the river would have knocked me out.

BigBaitsim (milo)
03-15-2004, 11:54 PM
Keep repeating the mantra. Last 2 times I tried to slowplay a flopped monster, the table checked around the flop and folded to the turn bet. On the other hand, once the fish call a flop bet, they seem compelled to call the turn bet, and not because they are getting odds to draw for a set on their pocket 6's, but because they think the money in the pot is still theirs.

Solitare
03-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Please keep slow playing your trips. I love getting free cards for my inside straight and runner-runner flush draws.

MaxPower
03-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Its going to depend on too many factors to make a blanket statement.

What was the preflop action? How big is the pot? How high is your top set? What is the board texture? How aggressive are your opponents? How bad are your opponents? How aggressive are you?

If there are no draws on the board and you call two bets cold on the flop, you are already giving away too much information to an observant opponent. They will probably won't bet into you again on the turn.

In general most people slowplay way too often and I have been guilty of this in the past.

There is a whole chapter on this in TOP which is worth reading and re-reading.

Joe Tall
03-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Looks like you have a taste of Fancy Play Syndrome. Judging from how poorly you played that 'revenge' str8 flush hand, also.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Louie Landale
03-16-2004, 02:37 PM
"<will keep calling> .. because they think the money in the pot is still theirs." Bingo.

And lets not snear at the loose "one time calls" on the flop. That's real money even if they WILL fold the turn.

- Louie

MaxPower
03-16-2004, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And lets not snear at the loose "one time calls" on the flop. That's real money even if they WILL fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the main reason I rarely slowplay the flop. Let say there is a bet a three callers to you on the flop. If you raise the flop, they will all call and you will get 2BB for a 1 sb investment. If you are lucky someone will 3-bet.

When you just call on the flop, too often the original bettor will bet and everyone will fold to you. So you get less money in the pot as a big favorite. Then there are the times when no one bets the turn or the bet comes from your immediate right and your raise will drive everyone out.

People love to call the flop and then fold on the turn. The flop is where you make your money in low limit holdem.

ElSapo
03-16-2004, 02:54 PM
The flop is where you make your money in low limit holdem.

I think I make a lot of my money pre-flop as well.

N4CER1
03-17-2004, 03:08 AM
Your so right....I learned the hard way a few years ago too..With sets and flopping 2 pair.....Once I had AK in the sb and the flop came A K 3....I wanted to get fancy and trap and was already counting these chips into my stack with like 6 players in the pot....I was first, I checked, everyone checked, Oh no!....the turn card was a 10, I checked ready for a check raise.....3rd player which is just a rock bets out first, and he would never bet without the best hand...set....or in this hand he has of course JQ the nuts.....everyone folded.....I called really knowing I was beat and just what he had.....the river was a blank....I checked he bet I called and he rolled over the nuts.....

If I would have just bet on the flop he would have never called for the 4 outer with 2 overcards......I played myself into a loser.....

I was PiXXed and from that hand on never slow play sets or 2 pair unless I am like heads up.....against a few players it is just wrong...

webiggy
03-18-2004, 11:12 AM
Yeah, thanks for that.

Actually, I'm not sure about FPS as much as being worried about leaving money on the table. When hitting the monster, I worry about playing too strongly 'cause I think everybidy but me is omniscient. Paranoid Android