PDA

View Full Version : How was this river raise?

balkii
03-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Party 3/6 I have 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in EP.

UTG(my main opponent in this hand, is very loose) limps, I limp, MP poster checks ,LP limps, sb completes, BB checks.

flop K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif
3 checks to me, I bet, all call.

turn 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

3 checks to me, I bet, MP calls, LP folds, sb calls, BB folds, UTG Check-raises, I 3-bet, folded back to UTG he caps.

river 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
UTG bets I raise.

Does anyone play the turn differently? I breifly considered check-raising, and also considered smooth calling the check-raise to trap players.

After he caps the turn I am fearing 99. But I figured he could have 44 or 45 or K9 or K4 or god knows what, and I raised the river because the flush card hit, and knew he wouldnt 3-bet on the river with a higher set. So I can get a value raise in when I am ahead without fearing a reraise when I am behind. What do you think?

spamuell
03-15-2004, 06:10 PM
If you don't think he'll 3-bet with a bigger set, I like the river raise. As you say, 99 is the only hand that you're conceivably behind to, and there are many more others that you're ahead against, especially if he's loose and will limp with K4s type hands. K9 seems very likely.

sfer
03-15-2004, 06:31 PM
I like it. I like it a lot.