PDA

View Full Version : Flopping a small boat

Absolution
03-15-2004, 04:01 PM
I've noticed that this situation often burns me bad, which in turn makes me play it too aggressively and not get good value for it. For example, in a recent hand I limped in with 45o on the BB. The flop came 445 with a lot of limpers (about 6). I've been in this situation before and I can only seem to remember the times another 5 hits or somewith with A4/k4 burns me when the high card comes on the river/turn. When I bet big on the flop people either fold or give me the wrong kind of action if you know what I mean. Is this hand just not as strong as it looks? I think it's just hard to get any money from it.

TheGrifter
03-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Any flopped boat is very strong. The problem with small boats, as you noted, is that it's tough to get them paid off. This is due to the fact that usually nobody else has those cards, and you are usually in with small cards from the blinds so you are suspect to have hit a hand.

I suggest playing a small flopped bet somewhat slow, let people catch up. Very rarely will they end up ahead at the river.

Absolution
03-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Even if you play it slowly you aren't likely to get much out of it are you? You might get a medium sized pot if you catch a bluffer, but it's probably good to let it go if there is a lot of action. Good assessment? I suppose it's analogous to catching a flush on the flop. You aren't likely to get much action unless you're beat. I think Sklansky eluded to that in Theory - i.e. you usually don't want to flop the best hand.

TheGrifter
03-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Well it depends. For instance, if you allow someone to make a flush/straight they may not be able to let go of it.

Just because the board is paired doesn't mean you aren't going to get action, it all depends on if your opponent makes a second best hand. I guess my point is, that your opponent will make a hand that you beat but will pay you off far more often than he will make a hand that beats you.

cornell2005
03-15-2004, 04:54 PM
imo the problem is getting the max money out of it, not getting run down.