PDA

View Full Version : Suited Connector Hand...how did I do?

JARID
03-15-2004, 02:19 PM
Playing 4-8 Hold em at the Bike. This table has fluctuated between tight and loose, but always fairly passive. Frankly, I couldn't ask for a better table.

I am in the CO and get dealt 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Pre-Flop:
UTG limps, MP Player limps, I decide to limp, button(good player) raises, SB folds, BB calls, all others call. Five to the flop for 10 small bets/5BB.

Flop Comes 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Well well...isn't that pretty!

UTG checks, MP checks, I check, Pre-Raiser bets, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, I raise, Pre-Raiser 3bets, BB flat calls two, UTG calls, MP folds.

Turn card: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif
UTG checks, I bet, Pre-raiser calls, BB folds, UTG folds.
River: Q /images/graemlins/club.gif
I bet, Pre-raiser calls.

Suggestions and comments please.

~J

JDErickson
03-15-2004, 02:24 PM
I probably would have mucked this preflop. Not enough limpers in front of you and a possible raise after you. But since you decided to play it I think you played it fine.

Jim

2000Flushes
03-15-2004, 02:31 PM
I 2nd JD's opinion

lil'
03-15-2004, 03:09 PM
In the type of game you describe, I think the pre-flop is fine.

TBone
03-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Why not bet the flop? You've got a weak top pair and a flush draw. Betting into the raiser may get him/her to raise you and knock everyone else out. I think I'd want people out of this hand so the infamous T2o doesn't take it when a Ten comes on the turn. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

T

spamuell
03-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Looks like the button has a big pair, I think I would have c/red the turn.

JARID
03-15-2004, 05:24 PM
This is fairly obvious but my flush was good and I took down a nice pot. He had JJ.
If this were a more aggressive game I would have folded the 67s pre-flop, but as Lil indicated it felt pretty safe to limp with the expectation that either the button or the small blind would call for some good multiway action. Even the raise wasn't that bad. If it comes from the button, I knew the BB would likely call and if one of the blinds raises, then I have position.
I guess I was wondering if my check raise on the flop was a little over the top. I know I locked in a bunch of small bets, but I think I cost myself some big bets on the turn and river. When he three bet on the flop it did tell me that my top pair was no good, so I would need to fold on the river unimproved. I also considered check raising again on the turn, but the button was pretty savvy and there was a chance he would check behind.

Thanks-
~J

spamuell
03-15-2004, 05:35 PM
I think that most players I would describe as "savvy" would absolutely hate to give a free card on the turn when there are already three of a suit on board. You don't mention whether he had the J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Maybe just betting was the right move - if you put him on pairs 99 and up, which is pretty likely, if he's the type not to bet when an overcard falls (in which case I probably wouldn't go with the "savvy" description) then a bet is probably better, but otherwise, I still like the turn c/r, especially as it gives you a chance to trap UTG and/or the BB for two bets.

JARID
03-15-2004, 06:58 PM
You bring up a good point about the free card. Maybe I could have gone for the check raise again. I don't recall if he had the J of hearts.