PDA

View Full Version : PL Holdem Tourney

Vince Lepore
03-15-2004, 12:25 PM
PL Tourney. 86 entrants. T1000 starting chips.

Early stages. Blinds 15-30. 10 handed.

You T920 SB: Ah,Kh

UTG T1020: limps
LP: limps
Button: limps

Pot: T135

1) What's your play and why?

I raised the pot. A mistake I believe.

UTG called. Heads up. Pot 405.

Flop: Ks,Jc,6d

2) What's your bet and why?

I bet 250. Correct I believe.

UTG: Raised to 500. I moved in. 3) Your play?

UTG had K,J one of the hands I gave him. I lost th hnad and was out of the tournament.

I made a mistake on this hand. Some of you may think I made more. You might be right. Some of you may not agree with me tht i made a mistake. You might be right.

My raise of the pot bfore the flop was a mistake at his stage of th game. I had not much to gain and everything to lose. There is a very importnt concept that I id not take into account here. That is that it is to the beter player advantage to keep the pot small. Before I go any further I would like to read some responses.

Vince

AceKQJT
03-15-2004, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG T1020: limps
LP: limps
Button: limps

Pot: T135

1) What's your play and why?

I raised the pot. A mistake I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think limping would be fine with your large suited connectors, but I think your standard raise is a good choice also. I would have raised the pot.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: Ks,Jc,6d

2) What's your bet and why?

I bet 250. Correct I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bet would be 200, I like your bet of 250 better.

[ QUOTE ]
UTG: Raised to 500. I moved in. 3) Your play?

UTG had K,J one of the hands I gave him. I lost th hnad and was out of the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would (incorrectly) put him on AK or AQ, and I would have done the same thing you did (push).

Apparently, both of our games need work. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

turnipmonster
03-15-2004, 02:14 PM
wow, my only comment is I am very surprised at the stack size to blind ratio this early in the tournament (I never play tourneys).

the issue seems to me to be that you have a very short stack relative to the blinds. so when you raise 10% of your stack preflop and get called, you now have to decide on the flop if your hand is good, because you are heading towards being pot stuck very quickly.

his minimum raise is inviting you to play a big pot with him. do you want to do that with TPTK?

--turnipmonster

Greg (FossilMan)
03-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Because of your position, all choices have their weaknesses. The problem with flat-calling preflop is that unless you flop at least two pair, you will have to have a lot of doubt if your hand is any good. Whereas with the pot-sized raise preflop, you should be able to narrow and define the field a reasonable amount. Both plays have their merits.

Postflop, I think your choices are fine. Once he raises, I might go into check-call mode. Even though he should be potstuck with his flop raise, it is possible that he is bluffing and will fold to your reraise. As such, it might be best to let him bluff again on the turn. The pot is too big and your hand is too strong to fold here. Anybody stupid enough to play KJ like this preflop is stupid enough to play hands worse than AK like this postflop. He is supposed to hold JJ, 66, or to lose. He is not supposed to win with anything else, unless he sucks out on the turn and/or river.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

sdplayerb
03-16-2004, 04:06 AM
Hi Greg,

So would you agree any good player goes broke here?
Unless you know he plays hands like KJ there and that is min-raises mins it's a monster, how can you get away from this?
If 50x+ the BB, I can see it.

SD