PDA

View Full Version : small pairs from BB...call a 3-bet?

alfman
03-15-2004, 11:50 AM
Very loose, aggressive table. At the time, I believe it was the highest avg pot 2/4 table on Party (around 50 bucks). Calling preflop raises with small pairs is a leak that I recently corrected. Or did I? Is this a automatic fold from BB or was I weak? EP1 took it down with a boat 3s over 2s, so my hand would have been good for a very nice pot.

Party Poker 2/4 (9 handed)
alfman has 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is BB

UTG limps, EP1 limps, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, MP3 limps, Button raises, SB 3-bets, alfman folds, UTG calls, EP1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 caps, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls, EP1 calls

Flop(26 SB): 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, UTG checks, EP1 checks, MP2 bets, MP3 raises, Button 3-bets, SB calls, UTG calls, EP1 calls, MP2 caps, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls, EP1 calls

Turn(25 BB): 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, UTG checks, EP1 bets, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls

River(31 BB): 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, UTG checks, EP1 bets, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, Button raises, SB folds, UTG calls, EP1 3-bets, MP3 folds, Button caps, UTG calls, EP1 calls

BugsBunny
03-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Normally I would fold to a 3 bet here, but with this many people limping in already, and based on your table description, I figure that there'll be enough callers to justify calling this - and it sounds like the table gives enough action postflop to pay off if you hit. As it stands you're getting 10-2 and you only need about 15-2 (including implied odds)(you actually need a bit more to handle the times you hit your set but still lose, but not much more) to justify the call.

Louie Landale
03-15-2004, 02:15 PM
You are against 7 opponents and should play any pair for all preflop bets. Plus, you are already in for one bet so are getting around 11:1 to call.

If you DO flop the set you are probably around a 7:3 favorite to win and can expect excessive action.

Yes, Little pairs are better in the loose PASSIVE games but hey, lets not get too choosy.

- Louie