PDA

View Full Version : AQ- this hand sucks

nguyen_svan
03-15-2004, 06:12 AM
i was in a recent tournament and had AQ. i was tight as you can imagine trying to get into the money. when i did get there the first hand i get is AQ. the BB was in front of me and i was trying to steal the pot right there so that i wouldn't have had to post my own chips next. i went all in and got called by AK and lost. i had about 15K in chips and the BB was 8K next, see as to why i was trying to steal the pot. tell me if i made the right move here or not. i wasn't on the low end of having chips just below average. i just wanted to get any thoughts as to anyone who would have played it different. yes i am still new to the tourney thing but have made final table 2 times out of 6.

curmudgeon
03-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Seems like a good move if the blinds are high and no one has called or raised.
You just got beat......... that's poker. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ZManODS
03-15-2004, 12:59 PM
I think going all-in is an error. You will only be called by better hands. I think a decent 3-5xBB raise will do for stealing the blinds.

AceKQJT
03-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Nguyen said:
[ QUOTE ]
i had about 15K in chips and the BB was 8K next, see as to why i was trying to steal the pot

[/ QUOTE ]

To which you replied:
[ QUOTE ]
I think going all-in is an error. You will only be called by better hands. I think a decent 3-5xBB raise will do for stealing the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]
3xBB = T-24000; He had T-15000.

His push was the correct move. His biggest mistake was not making this move sooner, when his raise would have a chance of taking the blinds.