PDA

View Full Version : General Differences between tourney and ring games...

MLor
03-15-2004, 03:55 AM
I started playing poker online at Party two months ago. I spend the majority of my time in tournaments in the $10 - $50 buy in range. Read some books and have been playing position and hand groups according to Malmuth/Sklansky's Hold'em for Advanced Players. Problem is, i keep getting ground out in 4th or 5th place. If i can make it to 3rd i more often than not can win the tourney. My trouble spot is making the jump from fourth to third. Seems too early to loosen up but the blinds get too big to stay tight. Any strategy suggestions?

I keep hearing that ring game strategy and tourney strategy are vastly different. Any general info on what differences there are would also be greatly appreciated.

Al_Capone_Junior
03-15-2004, 10:27 AM
until you read tournament poker for advanced players you will remain mostly lost on this subject. It's the best touranment book in the universe.

al

PrayingMantis
03-15-2004, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's the best touranment book in the universe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that there's such a big competition... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, How many other tournament books are there? I think no more than five, not even that much. I would actualy guess that most of the important written knowledge about poker tournaments can be found on these forums.

Still, it's a must book.

PrayingMantis

Al_Capone_Junior
03-15-2004, 01:22 PM
the second must book for tournaments is gambling theory and other topics, the tournament section.

al

Bozeman
03-15-2004, 02:03 PM
I own:

TPFAP

and

McEvoy TP
Suzuki
Sherer: 101 tournament hands

these are barely worth what I paid for them. There are a couple more out there, with probably McEvoy and Daugherty being the best of the crumby.

Craig