PDA

View Full Version : 20/40 short handed

shemp
03-14-2004, 11:29 PM
Calling to victory.

My main opponent plays a lot of short handed. I've never played him, but watched him. I know him to mix it up, particularly early, and, as this hand shows, if not resisted, will aggress. Yet, overall, I see him as too passive and hoping to make a hand, and pound with it all the way.

4 handed I open raise KTo and both blinds call. Flop is J99r. I open, SB folds, and BB c/rs. I call.

Turn is a 4. Bet, call.

River is a 5. Bet, call. I'm good, he has T7.

Thoughts? I thought this kind of routine, even though I don't call down with K-high much, probably, not enough. On the river, I don't think he lays down a pair to a raise, and maybe not A-high, although I don't know -- he would have 3-bet a good A preflop, I suspect.

stripsqueez
03-15-2004, 01:04 AM
i think your read is reasonable given that he didnt 3 bet pre-flop and the cards in the flop - why not 3 bet the flop and bet the turn ? - as it was you let him draw cheaply and he "committed" himself to a river bluff

is he going to cap the flop or check raise the turn with nothing ? - from your description it doesnt seem likely he will

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

shemp
03-15-2004, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3 bet the flop and bet the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do this, aren't you committed yourself to betting the river?

Eric P
03-15-2004, 04:21 AM
If you have a good read on a guy like this shorthanded you are in a good spot. The only thing is to not get too over-zealous, most the plays you want to make on him involve you playing your hands weakly, and often river check-rasing, don't think you can scoop a pot off him with a wacky three bet, just get marginally better hands and let him bluff it off