PDA

View Full Version : Big unsuited cards

stevenbe
03-14-2004, 09:37 PM
S&M write often in their books that big unsuited cards do not play well multiway. You're in a small buy-in Sit & GO, first hand of the tournament. You're on the button. EVERYONE limps in. You've got AQ offsuit. Should you muck?
AJ? A-10? Strict application of their theories mandates a fold. But how can you resist getting 8:1 or 9:1 on a big Ace (assume for arguments sake you KNOW the blinds will not raise).

Kenshin
03-14-2004, 10:53 PM
I am by no means an expert on tourney play (nor on any aspect of poker really); however, I would probably call in limit and fold in no limit. I base my decision on the fact that I will not be too badly hurt if I make a 2nd best hand in the early portion of a limit sit'n go. Conversely, I have no desire to ever play the 2nd best hand in no limit

stevenbe
03-14-2004, 11:21 PM
My question really concerns Limit Holdem. S & M have not written much on No Limit, but for some tournament strategy in Sklansky's Tournament book. I only used the Sit & Go in my question as I've never sat in a live limit game with so many callers, yet it is often the norm in the small online Sit & Go's. I also mentioned that it was the first hand, so no need to consider stack size in answering.

Dynasty
03-15-2004, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
S&M write often in their books that big unsuited cards do not play well multiway.

[/ QUOTE ]

And readers misunderstand it even more often.

All the hands should be played. The AQ hand should be raised.