PDA

View Full Version : Help with supersatellite strategy?

Tyler Durden
03-14-2004, 08:34 PM
Hey everyone, I won a 2 table SNG on Stars for $39+3 and that got me a seat in the WSOP supersatellite. I can play it any Sunday, so I chose to not play in the one today to give myself time to prepare. I'm taking it really seriously. One seat is awarded for each 19 players, roughly speaking. Today's had 270 entrants and 15 seats are being awarded. 16 and 17 get cash.

I'm looking for some advice on how to play a super, b/c this will be my first ever (I think). I'm not playing it for at least three weeks. The strategy is the same in the first few levels but then I know it changes as the bubble approaches.

I know that if I have a large enough stack and can fold my way to a seat, I should do that, even if it means folding AA.

But can I get some general (or specific) tips from people? I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm also going to play some supers on Party (not necessarily for the WSOP ) just so I can get some experience before I play for the Big One.

Thanks very much.

Jeffage
03-15-2004, 12:37 AM
I'm not an expert on these...but I'd say you just want to keep your eyes on the prize. Keep an eye on your position and play tight to hit that top 16. Your only goal is the seat not winning it all. I would think that would dictate conservative play as you get close.

Jeff

Greg (FossilMan)
03-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Pay very close attention to who knows what's up. If you're close to the money, and in great danger of not making it, you might have more luck stealing from a big stack, if they're a good super-sat player (and they know they can fold their way to a seat now). In other words, conventional wisdom can go out the window, so really think about who you can make a move on, and who will simply pay you off (or knock you out).

Supers can be much more of a balancing act than a regular tourney. That's the big difference. Taking a risk can be less worthwhile, because winning a monster stack doesn't generate the monster prize, but the same prize as several other people, some of whom will have baby stacks.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

BigBaitsim (milo)
03-15-2004, 11:28 AM
I'll see you at the Super this Sunday. Won my way in last night at the $25+2 rebuy. Got close to prize (top 5 go to the Super) and was one of the short stacks. Oddly, the biggies had 40-60K and the shorties had 17K or less, but almost everyone kept playing. I spent an hour folding almost everything, but could hardly ever steal as the big stacks would reraise to defend, forcing a fold or all-in (totally unnecessary as they had seats locked up). I got no cards worth risking the whole tourney on, with the exception of AA, which was one of the rare steals I made. In the end, I had 8K and two others had 11K. I was in full hibernation as the others continued to play. I folded stuff like AJs in LP, 88 and 77. In a regular tourney, I'd have gone taken those hands all-in at a short-handed table with less than 10x BB. Oddly, the other shorties even limped a few times, which is insanity with a stack equal to only 3x the BB. In the end, the leaderboard listed the top five with about 60K, 55K, 40K, 25K and 6K. I was the 6K, but we all get the same $650 seat at the Super. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

BigBaitsim (milo)
03-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Oddly, in the rebuy I "won" last night my thought was to just make it to the money spot, not the actual seat to the Super. I figured if I watched the bottom end rather than the top, I could keep myself from getting anxious and playing desperate, and that if I made it to the money (6th), I'd find a way to get a seat (1-5). It worked.