PDA

View Full Version : O/U on Mason's Review of Brier/Ciafonne Book?

02-18-2002, 03:10 PM
Mason is tough in his book reviews. I have not read the new book from Brier/Ciaffone. I intend to buy a copy but will probably skip it if Mason gives a review under 5. I know that's acid logic but what can I say? I'm thinking that 6 is about right for the over/under for his review score. That's based on comments regarding the articles Jim wrote and comments about the book from other posters so far.

02-18-2002, 05:00 PM
You mean on a scale of 1-10?

Has ANY book not published by 2+2 ever received a grade as high as 6 from our exacting critic?

I make the o/u 3, but the under is -130 (takeback +110).

Bobby

(BTW, what's the new book about?)

02-18-2002, 06:14 PM
Since Mike Caro is pissed off at Mason right now, I thought I'd use the following to answer your question:

Review:

"Mike Caro's Fundamental Secrets of Poker"

Mike Caro

Mason Malmuth (from Gambling Theory)

(9) I don't agree with everything this text contains, but many of Caro's best concepts are discussed. At the very least, this book will give you a lot to think about, and at best, it definitely will improve your game. Topics covered include general winning advice, seven-card stud, Texas hold'em, tells and psychology, and tournament advice.

02-18-2002, 08:09 PM
"Mason is tough in his book reviews."

That's the way it should be. I also know that I am very accurate.

I do have the book and have now read about 5 pages. Due to some other projects my review won't come for a while. But I will give the cover a low rating of 1 for its lack of originality. My wife thought it was another hold 'em book that she has seem well over a thousand times and was annoyed that I was showing it to her again.

02-18-2002, 08:16 PM
You're absolutely right, I only give negative numbers to books published by non-Two Plus Two authors. For instance, since we are mentioning his book I gave Ciaffone's three other books ratings of -9, -9, and -10. However, due to a printing error in Gambling Theory and Other Topics they all came out positive and everyone thinks that I believe these books are really good. Well, now you know the truth. I never wanted to admit to this mistake before so I even wrote positive reviews to go along with these erroneous numbers.

02-18-2002, 10:58 PM
8 -120...fading either side...gl

02-18-2002, 11:23 PM
8.5 -120..now accepting up to 2k...gl

02-18-2002, 11:40 PM
i know you do not think this is fair, but i just do not think it is right for you to wager on this and i have to deny your requests for action,,,sorry bud...gl

02-18-2002, 11:47 PM
The French Judge surprisingly gave the book great reviews.

02-19-2002, 01:18 PM
I've been reading the book slowly over the past couple days. There are a number of debatable plays suggested in there that S&M followers will consider strikingly weak. With that said, Mason will be quick to label the book "inaccurate" and give it a low rating. I take the under.

Incidentally, I love this book because it will make for great forum debates for the next several months. I hope that Jim Brier keeps contributing to the discussion. He isn't always correct IMO, but at least his opinions are always backed up by reason (even if you disagree). It doesn't hurt to think every now and then.

As for Mason's "Hands to Talk About", I love those too, but he always seems to make the right play.

02-19-2002, 02:36 PM
WHAT IS THE BOOK ABOUT

02-19-2002, 07:32 PM
It is a poker book. You'd enjoy it.

(Seriously though it is called "Middle Limit Holdem Poker". You can probably guess the subject matter from the title.)

02-20-2002, 01:54 AM
Hmmm. This is a toughie.

I think, Tom, that you're in the right ballpark, but since it's so hard to tell I think we should put up a twenty cent line. I'm leaning towards 6.5-110, or 7 -125. He liked Ciafonne's other books, so we have to consider that.

02-20-2002, 03:30 PM

02-23-2002, 10:03 AM
I'm going to modify my position a little bit. I will buy this book and read it no matter how the book is rated by Mason. I like to save a few bucks and ignore trash and that's why I like his reviews. However, in this case we have so many situations to analyze and so much advise to ponder, I'm fairly certain that I'll benefit from buying the book. I'm still opposed (I guess that's the right word) to books that tell you what to do instead of what things to consider. However, I think I can "fill in the blanks" satisfactorily if the book is heavy on the "what you should do" side. Perhaps I'll just keep my The Theory of Poker book by my side while I read this book. Also I don't agree with everything Jim Brier writes about or posts on this forum but I agree with a lot of it and he has provided some very good insight into situations that have benefitted me.

I'm keeping the O/U number at 6 though.