PDA

View Full Version : DREADED TAX TIME

Lucky
03-14-2004, 05:28 PM
I'm getting ready to have my taxes done. I will need to claim poker winnings for the first time this year. This may be a long shot, but I'm curious if anyone can PM me recommending someone in Northwest Arkansas to do my taxes. In this past I've just gone to one the H&R Block types that catch my attention through advertising.

On a more general note, I'm curious as to what the response is usually from those who prepare your taxes regarding the gambling winnings. Do they ask a lot of probing questions, i.e. "So where'd you win this money? On the internet? Well sir, uh, we'd like you to step into this next room over here and somone will be with you in a second." Obviously that is hyperbole, but I'm curious as to how the conversation goes with a new accountant you don't know too well.

I know the old school guys are rolling their eyes, sickened over how many p*ssys are now gambling, but I know I'm not the only "paranoid-sklansky-clone" who could have never made it in the "old days playing with the pimps and pushers."

Thanks.

GrannyMae
03-14-2004, 05:44 PM
"old days playing with the pimps and pushers."

the old days? you have obviously not been to the LA rooms.

on a serious note, if this is only going to be listed as other income, H&R block preparers can handle it fine. they could also handle it fine if you were filing as a professional with poker as your only income. the only drawback is that if you get audited, H&R does not have a great record with assisting in audits of professional players.

however, it sounds like you are MORE than honest, so i'm sure you would prevail in the audit without the need for counsel.

and in my experience, the preparer will be more fascinated with the story of your online play, than be judgemental about it.

if this is supplemental earnings, and you have proper records, save a buck and stay with H&R.

jmho

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/m/weedsmilie.gif

jasonHoldEm
03-14-2004, 08:35 PM
Hi lucky,

I think granny is right here...if you're filing your gambling as a hobby (i.e. you have W2 earnings, etc) than you can probably just stay with block. I hired an accountant this year, partly because I was unsure the proper way to file and also because I wanted to get set up for 2004 (when I'm planning to file as a professional). My 2003 taxes were filed as a hobby gambler and I probably could have done them myself (or certainly paid less at block), but with my additional needs I figured it was best to approach it this way.

Here's a post I made about my expereince. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=551645&Forum=i net&Words=what%20I%20learned%20about%20taxes%20tod ay&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old =3months&Main=551645&Search=true#Post551645)

Peace,
jHE