PDA

View Full Version : Pocket tens and JJ

PugX
03-14-2004, 02:10 PM
I'm a rather new player in online poker and No limit Texas holdem. I'm playing at lower stakes (10/25, 25/50) at Pokerstars.

I have some problems with pocket tens and JJ. How shall I see them?

Do I want to take the pot with them as I want with
QQ, KK, AA? Are they maybee drawing hands like for example 77? Ar they mabee something between?

Shall I rise preflop with my TT and JJ?

Best regards, Pug

theBruiser500
03-14-2004, 02:28 PM
They're inbetween, but a lot closer to 77 than AA, most people on here advise limping in EP with them, I'm beginning to like that too. I think both raising and limping in MP and LP are fine.

Fistdantilus
03-14-2004, 03:19 PM
Personally, I believe they are strong hands and worth raising. Not only are they overpairs to many flops, but Q high flops are often good flops for these hands. Not only that, but when the flop comes J/T high and you have top set, they may be less likely to give you credit for that big of a hand. A lot of it is that you have to know when second pair is likely to be good.

Fistdantilus

PugX
03-15-2004, 07:19 AM
Thanks for your answers, and also when I see my post..

I'm playing at lower stakes (10/25, 25/50) at Pokerstars.

I hope everyone understood I was refering 0.10/0.25, 0.25/0.50.. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Acesover8s
03-15-2004, 07:46 AM
A quick rule of thumb:

In any poker situation if its close between a call or a raise, you should raise because it is more fun.

theBruiser500
03-15-2004, 08:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not only are they overpairs to many flops

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt Flynn posted an interesting statistic a little while ago, TT is only going to be an overpair 25% of the time and you're only going to flop a set 9% (something like that) of the time. Another point Flynn brought up is if you raise with TT in EP and you get reraised out of the pot by someone in LP with AA you screwed up big time. If you had just limped and called his raise than you could have caught a set and broke him. "You have to allow yourself to get in that situation" is what he said.

danny