PDA

View Full Version : First Multi... how did I play this hand?

cavalier
03-14-2004, 10:37 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (10 handed)

MP3 (t2640)
Hero (t1030)
Button (t680)
SB (t780)
BB (t1465)
UTG (t2255)
UTG+1 (t845)
UTG+2 (t1760)
MP1 (t870)
MP2 (t2315)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to t40, MP3 folds, Hero raises to t60, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP2 calls t20.

Flop: (t150) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero bets t60, MP2 raises to t425, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t635

Was my preflop re-raise not wise?

How about my bet on the flop? Was a check a better idea?

Tyler Durden
03-14-2004, 10:42 AM
There are a few problems here.

One, your reraise needs to be more than just the minimum. You still have three players left to act and you don't want them to get involved. As strong as your hand is, you'd love to play it heads up. So I'd make it T80 or T100 when I reraise.

Your flop bet is less than half the pot. You bet T60 into T150. It should be more like T100 or T120.

I don't know about your fold to the checkraise. He could be doing this with just AQ. However, a minimum raise preflop is often AA. But with the size of that flop raise, it's like he's begging you not to call.

Moonsugar
03-14-2004, 11:55 AM
The min raise preflop is not really good. A flat call to trap if no ace falls or a pot sized raise (my normal action) is probably better.

Your bet on the flop is pricing in flush draws so it is a mistake. You want to make a pot sized bet here.

Your fold to the checkraise is bad IMO, unless you had some crazy good read on this guy. He has the stack and probably just sensed weakness with your betting and played AQ or AK pretty strong. If you make bigger bets/raises you wouldn't run into this prolem as much. That being said, with the betting you made I would have pushed in here after the check raise. If I am up against QQ or AA or lose to a draw, well so be it.

Canada Kelly
03-14-2004, 12:50 PM
when you are raising to need to bet the pot or close to it. You can not make any reads on guys with minimum bets. You need to make a bet that will understand if your opponents have a good or mediocre hand.

TomCollins
03-14-2004, 02:06 PM
This is party... perhaps he folded because he was scared of the guy who raises with Q2 os...?