PDA

View Full Version : River decision $6-$12 @ the Borgata against a habitual bluffer

Mike Gallo
03-14-2004, 06:05 AM
I had the following hand at a $6-$12 game at the Borgata.

I open raised from the cutoff with A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif. The button reraised, the small blind folded the big blind called and I called.

Flop 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

It gets checked around

Turn 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to me and I bet. The button hems and haws and finally folds. The big blind calls.

A little background on the big blind. I have seen him three bet the draw and bet even when he did not get it. I have also seen him have the hand he represented. Overall in the session I would say he bluffed more than optimally.

River 9 : /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

The big blind auto bet. What course of action do I take?

GuyOnTilt
03-14-2004, 07:19 AM
Hey MG,

What course of action do I take?

If you're considering raising to knock him off of a better hand, I wouldn't do it often at all. My experience against these type of players tells me that he's not folding a decent 2-pair here, and he's unlikely to have a crappy one considering his PF call.

If you're considering calling, you know my answer.

GoT

Mike Gallo
03-14-2004, 12:48 PM
When the villian autobet, I thought if the 9 helped his hand. I doubted it did so I called.

He said good call, and tabled AQ. I took it down.

balkii
03-14-2004, 02:39 PM
Why not cap preflop? A button 3-bet of your seeming steal raise is very likely a hand you have dominated, why not punish him, and the BB...

Homer
03-14-2004, 04:16 PM
MG, cap it preflop, assuming the button understands that you will be open-raising from the CO with a wide range of hands and will three-bet you a little lighter than usual. On the river, given your read, I like the call.

-- Homer

bunky9590
03-14-2004, 04:40 PM
Against a habitual bluffer, tough call even but I call.

I would also cap it preflop though, might slow him down a bit and keep yourself out of that situation altogether.

Mike Gallo
03-14-2004, 05:21 PM
I agree with all those who said to three bet preflop.

Mike Gallo
03-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Why not cap preflop?

I could only reraise him, the next player to raise would cap.

I do agree however that I should have three bet preflop.