PDA

View Full Version : 2 quick bellagio questions

02-18-2002, 05:14 AM
While playing at the bellagio the weekend, I heard a local advise a tourist against playing in the 20-40 omaha game, saying that the game was unbeatable and that a majority of the players were in cahoots with one another. Any validity to this?

Secondly, while playing 1-5 stud, a player asked the dealer what exactly constituted "High limit poker". She replied "as high as you want", and then went on to say that you name the game, and the floor people will call players at home to strike up interest. do they really do that? This is just me being curious.

Thanks

Josh

02-18-2002, 06:04 AM
They aren't in cahoots at the 20-40 level, it just appears that way because its the biggest joke of a game you ever saw. Indeed it is the same 6 or 7 players that play almost everyday against each other trying to chop up 3 or 4 tourists, if they can get them. Its like a coffee cooler though, last time I played with them they were discussing a particular investment of "Jeff" a guy anyone that has been around Vegas poker for many years will recognize in an instant, he is like the icon of Omaha in this town. It was like inbreeding in that almost everyone else at the table knew a lot about the subject and they were all just picking up on an old thread. Not that its terribly wrong, but I could see it appearing to be a cut-up job because to an outsider it looks like a bunch of friends just trying to take money from those that happen upon "their" game. What can they do though? There just isn't any demand for even middle-limit Omaha in this town. A couple of guys that I used to play against regularly back around 93 or so when the game was 10-20 at the Mirage and went nearly 24/7 you see never playing Omaha any more, all moved onto the 30-60 HE game at the Bellagio. I guess they don't like the idea of playing the same people everyday either.

02-18-2002, 05:07 PM
If you've never been seen in a Las Vegas or Southern California poker room, and you ask a Bellagio floorman, "Do you guys offer 5,000-10,000 stud?"...

The answer will certainly be, "Well, sir, we don't have one running right this second, but I'm sure that if you give me a few minutes, I could find many interested players."

You would be a high-stakes player's dream-come-true.

Bobby