PDA

View Full Version : entire sit&go review.HELP! (long)

jaydoggie
03-13-2004, 07:00 PM
im definately doing something wrong. i cannot win. im going to be as specific as possible, because there's got to be something small im doing that is costing me tournament after tournament, and im sick of blaming "luck".

1.)
blinds 10/20 1500. dealt 99 in bb. mp limps. folds around. i check.
flop A Q 6. i check he bets 40 (pot 50). i fold.

2.)
blinds 10/20 1470. dealt AA in co. 2 limpers to me. i bring it up to 100. UTG calls.
flop QJ8 2 clubs. i bet 100. UTG calls.
turn 9. he checks i check.
river 9. he bets 200. i call.

pocket 10s. K high straight.

3.)
blinds 10/20. dealt AQd. raise to 100. 3 call.
flop 2 5 8r. checks to me, i bet 200. all fold.

stack back to 1340.
fold
T7o,Q5o,QJo,86o,

67o in BB. blinds 15/30 stack 1310 after posting.
2 limp. i check. flop 34Jr. i check, player bets 60. MP calls. i fold.

24h in SB. 3 limp. i fold.

fold Q3o, J8o, 25s, 75o, A4o, K6o, K8o.

blinds 15/30 stack after posting BB 1265.
dealt T2o. LP miniraises, CO miniraises, SB miniraises. i fold.

Blinds 25/50
sb dealt 62o. UTG limps. folds around. i fold.

fold k6o,j8o,A2s,82o,T8o,22(EP),45o.

BB with 97s. 1190 after posting.
3 limp. i check.
flop QT9 none of my suit.
turn J. checks aroudn river T. checks around.
LP takes it with Q4o.

SB dealt 74o. 2 limp i fold.

fold A8o, 92s,82o,

blinds 50/100
dealt JJ in MP. open raise to 300.
LP moves allin for 180 more. folds back to me. i call.
LP shows KK. i get no help. down to 685.

next hand dealt AJs. i push for 685. folds around. up to 735.

fold another rag.

82 in BB. 735 after posting. several limp. SB raises. i fold.

J2o in SB. down to 685.

fold A3o, T9o, T4s, 43s,
down to 7

EP limp with KJh. 2 aces on flop i fold.

fold 72 UTG.

in BB with ATh. folds to me.

in SB with Q4o. i fold.

stack 585.

AKs on BTN. One limp. i push. blinds fold. limper calls. QJo.
J on flop. i dont improve. so long.

where are my key mistakes? what should i have done differently?

William
03-13-2004, 09:37 PM
Too long Jay, give us the short version, no bad beats, wich site we're talking about(looks like stars) and tell us how much (the buy-in).

Then perhaps... but the answer is most certainly the 78% rule.

Take care,
William

NotMitch
03-13-2004, 09:49 PM
On hand 2 with all those draws out there on the flop why did you underbet the pot? And why didnt you bet the turn?

jaydoggie
03-13-2004, 09:50 PM
there arent many *bad* beats. atleast not in my estimation. the reason i posted EVERY hand is because im afraid maybe im weak tight, maybe im jsut the worst poker player on the planet.

pokerstars 10$ single table.
ive officially deemed them impossible to keep my own sanity. no matter how hard i try i cannot beat this game. and i dont mean i cant consistently beat it. i mean i cant win a 3 hands.

this isnt over a 1 game sample. its over a 60 game sample. which is still reasonably small. but over 60 games you think id atleast stumble into 1st place once.

jaydoggie
03-13-2004, 09:52 PM
i bet weak on the flop hoping he'd move in on me.
on the turn there was a reasonable chance he already made the straight. this is why im posting, am i growing too weak/tight? or is it that i just plain suck.

William
03-13-2004, 10:01 PM
1) I don't see anything unusual here.

2) 100 pre-flop is too little. try 180. 500 or more on the flop.

3) no comments, you just didn't get any cards run once into a big pair. [censored] happens, nothing unusual.

Don't despair.

W.

William
03-13-2004, 10:07 PM
on the turn there was a reasonable chance he already made the straight

Fear sets, overpairs, better kicker and that kind. Straights, flushes... you shouldn't worry about them, Assume nobody has them.

And yes, it seems you need to be more agressive with your good hands.

William

PS. jay, I have edited the post and deleted the part about the bet on the flop as I misunderstood your statement. I thought you were commenting the pre-flop action. Sorry about that.

NotMitch
03-13-2004, 10:15 PM
I don't like the bet weak to get him to move in on you. Its early, the stacks are deep and if he has a draw you just priced him in.

On stars I would say that more than 75% of my bets are pot sized bets. Unless there is a reason not to bet the pot got ahead and do it.

On the turn I would make another bet and if you get raised I think you have to think about folding. But you can't be worried that people have made a straight just because one is out there. How many hands can he have to call a raise with preflop that have a 10 in them? TT and AT are the only 2 that seem reasonable. If you are behind there I think its to QJ more times than not.

On that flop there are a lot hands that are drawing very live against AA, winning the pot on the flop is not a bad thing.

jaydoggie
03-13-2004, 10:53 PM
in a 10$ game, when he already had 20 committed he's likely to call with T8,T9,TT,JT,QT,KT,AT. maybe even T7 if its suited. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

i think williams right, come harder preflop. i just wanted to suck one in for the flop. i dont know why i played it so passively, probably that tilt

say i raise to 100 preflop with AKs and 2 people call. i hit my money card. A or K high flop. the pot is 300. 1 calls. how do you bet the turn, assuming its not a scare card. the pot would now be 900. thanks.

William
03-13-2004, 10:58 PM
say i raise to 100 preflop with AKs and 2 people call. i hit my money card. A or K high flop. the pot is 300. 1 calls. how do you bet the turn, assuming its not a scare card. the pot would now be 900. thanks.

When the pot is 900, you are satisfied with it. Now is the time make a substantial bet (probably all-in). if he wants to chase, he must pay the price. If he has you already beaten, bad luck. If he folds, the pot is big enough.

William

NotMitch
03-13-2004, 11:42 PM
Almost certainly all in.

TheGrifter
03-14-2004, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Straights, flushes... you shouldn't worry about them, Assume nobody has them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay William, clarify. As I read this I think it is quite possibly the worst NL poker advice ever given.

Barry_G
03-14-2004, 02:06 AM
Hand 1) be more aggressive. 1 MP limper raise with 99 and then bet the flop no matter what hits. If you get re-raised let it go.

Hand 2) be more aggressive. In a $10 SNG a lot of players will call T100 raise. I raise to at least T300. Push on flop. If he wants to draw to a gut shot straight make him pay.

3) lots of junk. Not much you can do. If you had a more aggressive image you could steal some of these pots.

BB with 97s i'm gonna bluff this pot if its checked around Q4o will fold.

JJ in MP tough break. easy call for 180 more.

AKs tough luck again.

Be more aggressive. Make pots size bets unless there is a good reason not to. It will help you win more pots when you don't have the best hand.

eastbay
03-14-2004, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2.)
blinds 10/20 1470. dealt AA in co. 2 limpers to me. i bring it up to 100. UTG calls.
flop QJ8 2 clubs. i bet 100. UTG calls.
turn 9. he checks i check.
river 9. he bets 200. i call.

pocket 10s. K high straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet more on this flop. There's straight and flush draws out there. At least the pot.

eastbay

William
03-14-2004, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay William, clarify. As I read this I think it is quite possibly the worst NL poker advice ever given.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing to clarify, but good luck to you if everytime a scary flop shows up you run for the hills.

If you play omaha, assume the nuts is always there. if you play Texas, and worry about anything else worst than trips on a flop with 3 different cards, then do yourself a favor and stop playing.

If you think is bad advice, ignore what I write and keep playing wichever way it works for you.

That simple

Wiliam

eastbay
03-14-2004, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't. If you're raising pre-flop, you shouldn't have enough people in the pot to fear straights or flushes at all. Will you run into them? Yes. Will you make more money assuming they don't exist and taking money away from semi-bluffers? Hell yes.

If you're heads-up, worrying about flushes on anything other than a 4-suited board is going to kill you. You're going to get pushed out on bluffs and semi-bluffs much more often than you'll run into the real thing.

Actually, my game seemed to turn a corner when I started playing without fear of straights or flushes with 3 or fewer in the pot.

Now, if you let 5 or 6 people see the flop, that's another story.

eastbay

TheGrifter
03-14-2004, 11:33 PM
William,

Despite your best efforts, you did clarify this for me. I didn't know you were talking about the flop (Guess I should read more closely), I thought you meant when all the cards are out. Obviously, by the river if you've put someone on a flush draw and the flush comes and they go all in, you might want to consider the flush.

On a single tone flop I agree that MOST of the time you shouldn't fear the flush (as far more often people will be betting a big card of the suit), however depending on the player and the betting action there are certainly situations where it is important to consider.

As for the "if you think my advice is bad..blah blah blah" you know better William. Don't get pissy. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Take it easy,

Grifter

TheGrifter
03-14-2004, 11:35 PM
Eastbay,

Let them? In some games it's damn near impossible to get less than 5 to a flop. Anyway, I thought Williams comment was referring to after all the cards are out. On the flop, if there are flush/str8 possibilities I use that to my advantage and generally bet with any two, even better if I actually have a hand.

Grifter

William
03-15-2004, 07:45 AM
depending on the player and the betting action there are certainly situations where it is important to consider.

That is obvious. Sorry about the snap. I read so many posts, where after the flop people sart talking about being very careful if there is a straight or a flush possibility. you know, I had JJ and the flop comes 986 /images/graemlins/spade.gif make a small bet and if you get raised fold and that kind of stuff. Totally absurd. Of course sometimes s*** happens, but it's not the kind of scenario you have to worry about. Wait for the fourth scary card to start ringing the alarm bells, or better, make a BIG bet on the flop and put HIM on the hot spot.

But I see we two are cool /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Take care,
William