PDA

View Full Version : small sample size on an opponent can still be valuable

MicroBob
03-13-2004, 06:34 PM
there was a discussion in a previous thread about how many hands you should have against an individual to get a true read on what kind of player they are.

several thought that the number should be pretty high....but i suggest that there are a lot of players you can get a pretty good read on rather quickly.

here's one i copied straight from my p-tracker exported notes on a certain individual...

{{VP$IP: 62.2 - SF-ALL: 68.2927
PFR: 1.2 - TOT HANDS: 82
WSD: 50.00 - W$SF: 30
W$SD: 42.857 - WON: $37

i suspect he is an any-A and any-K guy. he raised ONCE. his W$SD indicates that he caught a few cards and he isn't a TOTAL moron. but i wouldn't mind having him at my table...and i only have 82 hds on the guy.
i didn't even check to see whether my stats on him were full-ring or short-handed....but who cares, either way it's obvious he is NOT to be feared.

what about this guy??

{{VP$IP: 43.2 - SF-ALL: 47.7273
PFR: 0.0 - TOT HANDS: 44
WSD: 14.29 - W$SF: 0
W$SD: 0.000 - WON: ($44)

how about 43% VP$IP and 0% PFR?? wow.

obviously a guy that is at 28%VPIP after 50 hds isn't necessarily a loose player.
a 15%VPIP player can easily have a 50 hd stretch where they play that many....but if they are playing 43% without ANY pre-flop raising his playing style becomes clear pretty quick.

the other aspect is the last-date seen. the 2nd guy seems to be folding more than 57% of his hds as i am watching him....indicating that perhaps he has learned a little bit from experience and is tightening up some.

one final guy -

{{VP$IP: 15.2 - SF-ALL: 21.2121
PFR: 6.1 - TOT HANDS: 66
WSD: 42.86 - W$SF: 50
W$SD: 66.667 - WON: $41

even after only 66 hds it sure looks like this guy knows what he is doing. most loosey-goosey fish won't accidentally put up decent numbers like this...even after a small sample.
i don't know precisely how solid he is....but i immediately know that my profits at this table will most likely NOT be coming from this guy.

so don't dismiss those small sample sizes too quickly. just take them in context and if something sticks out then use that info until proven otherwise.

i know ms-sunshine works for hours updating his notes on his players.
i feel like i have almost the same advantage now after only 18k hds in p-tracker with a minimum of effort. and at the 2/4 level no less. and i'm still a pretty mediocre player (+1.4bb/100 at 2/4).

i was really looking forward to this note-export thing from pat....now that i have it and am playing around with it i feel it will add to my EV significantly and help me move up levels more rapidly.
thanks again pat.....if this new feature helps me make as much money as i think it will i may be sending a little token of my appreciation your way sometime down the road.