PDA

View Full Version : Couple of $100 PL Omaha/8 hands (Long post)

scythide
03-13-2004, 04:58 PM
I do win all of these hands, but I'm just trying to get a sense of how to play in these situations.

Hand 1 (of 4)

Party Poker Pot-Limit Omaha/8, $2 BB (8 handed)

Button ($256.35)
SB ($98)
Hero ($192.91)
UTG ($70.38)
UTG+1 ($152.80)
MP1 ($75.50)
MP2 ($82)
CO ($66.94)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls $2, UTG+1 calls $2, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $2, CO calls $2, Button folds, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($11) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 bets $2, CO calls $2, Hero calls $2, UTG calls $2, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: ($19) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero bets $18.05, UTG folds, MP2 folds, CO calls $18.05.

River: ($55.10) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: $55.10
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $55.10, between Hero and CO.</font> &gt; <font color="white">High won by Hero ($55.10) No low.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 2c 3s 3c 4d (High: three of a kind, threes).
CO shows Ad 4c 9d Td (High: two pair, tens and fours).
Outcome: Hero wins $55.10. </font>

I hit bottom set with only one low card out on the flop. There were two hearts out and I had no heart draw, so my plan was to check/call a small bet on the flop and then bet the pot on the turn if a safe card fell, which it did. The river brought both the heart and the low and the straight, so I checked it through. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to gun it on the flop in these situations; I didn't really want to commit that much of my money to this hand so I didn't want to build the pot up. I would have been fine with folding if a scare card came on the turn.

Hand 2 (of 4)

Party Poker Pot-Limit Omaha/8, $2 BB (9 handed)

CO ($317)
Button ($94)
Hero ($220.21)
BB ($58)
UTG ($157.10)
UTG+1 ($123.30)
MP1 ($113.08)
MP2 ($72.69)
MP3 ($37.61)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls $2, UTG+1 calls $2, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $2, CO calls $2, Button calls $2, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($14) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 bets $7, CO folds, Button folds, Hero raises to $34.3, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP3 raises to $35.61 (All-In), Hero calls $1.31.

Turn: ($85.22) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($85.22) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $85.22
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $85.22, between Hero and MP3.</font> &gt; <font color="white">High won by Hero ($85.22) No low.</font>

MP3 shows Jd Ts 6s Td (High: two pair, tens and nines).
Hero shows 4h 7h Kd 4d (High: full house, fours full of nines).
Outcome: Hero wins $85.22. </font>

I don't really know what I was hoping to flop with this SB hand, but since everyone else was calling I figured I could see the flop and play accordingly. I flop a full house. I'm not sure if I should have bet the pot right here. If I had and there was a pot-sized re-raise to me, I'm not sure what I would have done. MP3 ends up betting out for half the pot and I figure if I raise the pot I can get it heads-up against someone who doesn't have very much money left (risk-adverse), which is what I did. I really don't know how to play small sets; I do know they're pretty weak and you can lose a lot of money on them.

Hand 3 (of 4)

Party Poker Pot-Limit Omaha/8, $2 BB (8 handed)

SB ($188.15)
BB ($63)
UTG ($276.35)
Hero ($112.16)
MP1 ($98)
MP2 ($274.97)
CO ($81.24)
Button ($92)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls $2, Hero calls $2, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $2, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($9) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $8.55, MP2 calls $8.55, BB calls $8.55, UTG folds.

Turn: ($34.65) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero bets $32.95, MP2 calls $32.95, BB folds.

River: ($100.55) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: $100.55
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $100.55, between Hero and MP2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">High won by Hero ($100.55) No low.</font>

Hero shows 9d Qs As Qc (High: three of a kind, queens).
MP2 shows 2s 7h Ah 2d (High: three of a kind, twos).
Outcome: Hero wins $100.55. </font>

I make a pretty loose (I think) preflop call with this hand; a suited Ace and two Queens. The flop comes favorably so I decide to keep betting until a scare card comes. The K on the river makes a higher set and a straight possible so I checked it. Not sure if I should have bet it again on the river since it doesn't really make sense for someone to be calling with AJ, but I guess someone could have had 9J. My question is whether a pot sized bet on the river would have been correct. Again, I don't know if I would have called if MP2 made a pot sized bet on the river.

Hand 4 (of 4)

Party Poker Pot-Limit Omaha/8, $2 BB (9 handed)

Button ($166.70)
Hero ($85)
BB ($102.51)
UTG ($197.25)
UTG+1 ($94)
MP1 ($92)
MP2 ($60.77)
MP3 ($155.19)
CO ($161.93)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls $2, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $2, MP3 folds, CO raises to $7, Button folds, Hero calls $6, BB calls $5, UTG folds, MP2 calls $5.

Flop: ($30) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, CO bets $28.5, Hero raises to $78 (All-In), BB folds, MP2 folds, CO calls $49.50.

Turn: ($186) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($186) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $186
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $186, between Hero and CO.</font> &gt; <font color="white">High won by Hero ($186) No low.</font>

CO shows As Qd 3h 4s (High: two pair, jacks and threes).
Hero shows 5c Ah Ad 9h (High: two pair, aces and jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins $186. </font>

I really wanted to re-raise the pot preflop here with my AA and isolate, but again I was playing pretty risk-adversely. I figured the preflop raiser for an A2, and when the flop came I was pretty sure I was ahead with my AA unless he had A23. I also have the second nut low draw and since CO raised preflop I didn't think he had A4 (he did). I think my re-raise all-in was because I Was upset that I hadn't done it preflop and I'm not sure it's a good move here.

crockpot
03-13-2004, 05:11 PM
hand 1: if you're going to play this hand at all, this is the way to do it. don't put any more money in on the flop than you have to, but bet if you get a good turn. still, i would probably fold this on the flop. the problem is that every river card in the deck besides the case three can look bad for one reason or another, and if you check the river the opponent may try to steal the pot from you. i would be much more likely to bet this hand in position, although it is still not that strong. at least then you can check behind on the river and are unlikely to face a bluff.

hand 2: i see no reason to complete the blind with this hand. you're basically looking to flop quad fours.

the best way to play this hand depends on the aggression of the opponents. ideally you want to get it all in against a player who will raise with a nine, or fold against a raise from a player who won't raise without the full.

hand 3: this is too weak to be playing from an early position. change the 9 to something useful and i'll play it. once the flop hits you played it fine. against the right player you can bet the river for value, but that's not many players.

hand 4: i would strongly consider folding this preflop. if you are going to play, a reraise is preferable to a call. what are you trying to build by flat calling here? in a multiway pot you are basically trying to flop a wheel, a nut flush, or aces full. you will not hit these often enough to justify a call. a reraise gives you a decent chance to have your aces hold up; still, i would like to have better sidecards if i'm going to reraise. the 9 is particularly ugly.