PDA

View Full Version : Dual Monitors

beta77
03-13-2004, 03:07 PM
Ok, so I am no computer technowizard. Well, ok, honestly, I know how to turn on the computer, get on the internet, and urrr-hmmmm, "play" some poker. Could anyone please explain to the technically impaired (read, ME), how to go about running two monitors on the same machine? I currently play 4 tables on one monitor and want to experiment with more.

Also (this may be a stupid question), how do you navigate from one screen to the next, etc.

Thanks for helping.

Tachyon
03-13-2004, 03:25 PM
Firstly u need a graphics card with a DVI out .. basically its a strange looking rectangular port next to where the current monitor is plugged in. If you do not have one of those then you will need to buy a graphics card with one - they are not that expensive.

You then need an adapter to convert DVI to normal 15 pin monitor - you need of course the other monitor too /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Plug in switch on - from the desktop select properties (right mouse click)->Settings and you should see 2 monitor boxes. There is a tick box to 'extend my display into this monitor' tick that - set up the resolutions and you are away.

You just need to imagine that your 2 monitors are 1 big monitor ... you drag the mouse from one end and it appears along the edge of the monitor adjacent... takes about 5 mins to get used to, and well worth it - trust me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

beta77
03-13-2004, 04:02 PM
Thank you very much. I will be off to buy a graphics card ASAP.

Frozen
03-13-2004, 05:55 PM
You'll need a nerd to set the whole thing up though. I doubt you'd be able to do it alone without a bit of tech background. I have the Appian Graphics rushmore hydra card, and I like it.

astroglide
03-13-2004, 06:46 PM
easiest way is via a video card with 2 outputs. most modern cards have this. consider something like an ati radeon 9600pro or 9600xt 128mb, should be ~$150.

Lawrence Ng
03-13-2004, 07:35 PM
First off, I need to know what your current specifications are your computer. DO NOT GO OUT AND BUY A NEW VIDEO CARD YET!!!

Reason being so that your system may not be new enough to support some of the newer video cards which do enable dual monitor support. So you will wind up having to probably upgrading more than you bargained for.

But if you bought your computer within the last year or two, chances are it will support a video card which has dual monitor featured on it. You do not need a tech or nerd to help you run dual monitor mode. It's fairly straightforward nowadays.

The video card you purchase should have two outputs on the back. A standard 15 pin arrary VGA and a DVI output. If you don't have a DVI monitor, the box should come with a DVI to VGA converter or you can buy one separately.

My recommendation is the ATI 9600 XT 128 MB video card.

If you have any other questions, feel free to pop me an email.

Lawrence

Jim Easton
03-13-2004, 08:08 PM
Another option is a second video card. Just get a PCI card and hook the 2nd monitor to it. Windows will handle the set-up for you. You then use the settings tab on the display properties to tell the computer how the monitors are placed.

Moving between them is a simple as moving the mouse, it is all treated as one screen.

Redmen62
03-14-2004, 01:29 AM
Thought I'd jump in here, rather than start a new thread. I have a Radeon 9700 All-in-wonder that, while a fantastic card, does not have a DVI output.

My main problem with this is through the analog I can't get the refresh past 70hz on my Samsung 171P LCD,and I can see the vertical refresh as a series of waves (my friends all say they don't notice, but I sure do). So, I would like to hook up my monitor via DVI for the digital quality, and to eventually upgrade to a two LCD setup.

My questions: what card would you recommend for this purpose (No 3D guts needed, no fancy features just 2D DVI needed), and what are some things I need to keep in mind when setting this up?

Inthacup
03-14-2004, 02:14 AM
I have a Ye Olde Shoppe brand 'Mule-kicker 128'(YOS MK-128 for short) graphics card and it really kicks. I almost bought the ATI Fire GL T2-128 (http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?edc=523270) which was comparably priced, but it didn't have the brute graphics strength of the mule-kicker.

Cup

astroglide
03-14-2004, 03:17 AM
you can get a radeon 7000 w/dual outputs (1 dvi) very cheaply if you truly don't care about gaming performance, but i wonder how you ended up with a 9700 (respectable gaming card) if that's the case.

anyway, lcds do not need more than 60hz. if you are seeing lines in it, it is more likely due to interference.

Redmen62
03-14-2004, 03:52 AM
Interesting... The all-in-wonder came stock, got a ridiculous deal on the desktop (the monitor too, for that matter) and it's designed mainly as a video-editing DVD-burning machine.

I already get nice gaming performance from the 9700, as you mentioned, so I was under the impression that I could use the 9700 for apllications that demanded horsepower, and the 2D sidecard for my typical desktop.

Any ideas what could be causing interference with the LCD? Nothing but (fully shielded) speakers that could cause any problems nearby...

astroglide
03-14-2004, 05:42 AM
9700 primary + pci for 2d secondary is a fine idea.

as for interference, http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=analog+lcd+interference&sa=N &tab=wg is a good start

SoBeDude
03-14-2004, 10:26 AM
You'll need a nerd to set the whole thing up though. I doubt you'd be able to do it alone without a bit of tech background. I have the Appian Graphics rushmore hydra card, and I like it.

If you have trouble, just call the tech support for the card manufacturer. They'll walk you though the setup.

BTW, I recommend any cards using the NVIDIA chipset over anything made by ATI. I just don't like ATI and have had plenty of problems with them in the past.

I'm using an Asylum GeForce FX 5700 Ultra. It has excellent 2D and blazing 3D performance. Costs about $150 I think. Setting up dual monitors was a snap, and it comes with the DVI adapter (but I assume most would).

-Scott