PDA

View Full Version : Easy tech question

Jim Kuhn
03-13-2004, 03:02 PM
I am thinking of getting a laptop. I have a wired router. Is there a way to connect the laptop wireless or would I need a new wireless router? Would I need wireless cards for my pc's also? What cost ranges am I looking at for my options? Thank you very much for any help!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

David
03-13-2004, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking of getting a laptop. I have a wired router. Is there a way to connect the laptop wireless or would I need a new wireless router? Would I need wireless cards for my pc's also? What cost ranges am I looking at for my options? Thank you very much for any help!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, a wireless router with a PC card is the way to go. I am on SBC DSL and I bought the package from them and it works great. You can get a good router at any computer store and they are usually very easy to set up.

PS.....remember the most important consideration when buying a laptop for internet poker use is DISPLAY! Get the best you can afford (after that win the sky should be the limit!)

SamJack
03-13-2004, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't necessarily need a router. You could get a WAP (wireless Access Point) however, WAP is just about as expensive as a Wireless Router (router + WAP).

In short, I would recommend that you get a Wireless router, I have one from Netgear and it has worked out very well for me. You would need to get a wireless card for your laptop. You do not need one for your desktop as wireless router also comes with ports to connect to it directly.

There are three wireless protocols.

802.11a, b and g.

I would go with b. g is the fastest and the most expensive. Unless you need to stream high def video between your computers, you wouldn't need g.

This is the URL to the model I have:

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=151&view=hm

I paid around $80, i think. YOu would need another $70 or so for the card for your laptop.

SamJack

pudley4
03-13-2004, 03:44 PM
I just got a laptop. Had to get a wireless router, it was $49 at BestBuy after rebate (Netgear). It's got 4 ports for non-wireless connections. Super easy to set up.

Senor Choppy
03-13-2004, 03:54 PM
If you ever plan on playing more than 2 tables at once, you should definitely consider spending a little extra to get one that supports 1600x1200 resolution. Dell has a few different models that will do this, not sure which of the other manufacturers offer this.

You can buy a wireless access point and that combined with your wired router would work, but it's just one more thing that takes up a an outlet and sits on your desk. Just buy a wireless router instead.

You don't need wireless cards for your desktop pcs unless you don't want ethernet cable running from where you WAP or wireless router is located.

Many of the laptops now have built in 802.11b cards, so keep this in mind when deciding which WAP or wireless router to buy (802.11a,b,or g).

I've had multiple Dell laptops and many, desktops, and they've been well worth the $. I have a linksys wireless router (BEFW11S4 V.2) and it's worked perfectly for in the 2 years that I've had it.

Jim Kuhn
03-13-2004, 04:16 PM
As always, thank you for the great information.

Jim Kuhn
03-13-2004, 04:24 PM
Not just choppy - but all of those with advice! I know lately there has been some concern about replying to the wrong post. I appreciate all of the replies and don't want to slight anyone!