PDA

View Full Version : 77 in the BB, testing the waters on the flop.

BigEndian
03-13-2004, 12:27 PM
I like to make these flop bets when there's a nice pot and a decently raggy board. Anyone think this is over-reaching?

Normally, I would have been a ninny and folded when raised by the PF raisor. But I thought about a recent post by GoT and made the call closing the action with less than the right pot odds - but figuring it to be close enough to make it up in implied odds. Anyone not on board with this?

The turn was an easy fold, especially with the overcall.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: BigEndian is BB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG posts a blind of $2.
UTG (poster) folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 raises, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BigEndian calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BigEndian bets, MP1 folds, MP2 raises, CO folds, Button calls, BigEndian calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BigEndian checks, MP2 bets, Button calls, BigEndian folds.

River: (10.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 bets, Button calls.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 12.75 BB, between Button and MP2.</font>

This also shows a small tangent in that I think it's a good example of why you should raise the flop sometimes with a whiffed AK and thinking players at the table. AK is not what my opponent had however.

- Groove

lil'
03-13-2004, 12:36 PM
I like the way you played the hand.

BTW, the pre-flop call is a no-brainer. Easy call.

Jeffage
03-13-2004, 12:40 PM
If just the preflop raiser raised and it was folded back to you, I'd say you have a clear call. But when the button coldcalls, it makes it much more likely you're drawing to two outs with short odds. I say fold it.

Jeff

Noodles
03-13-2004, 12:47 PM
I like the pf call anf the flop bet into the raiser.

BigEndian
03-13-2004, 01:03 PM
I agree about the PF call, the ninny part I was referring to is the flop call when raised.

- Jim

spamuell
03-13-2004, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG posts a blind of $2.
UTG (poster) folds

[/ QUOTE ]

This is hilarious. Great game.

I think you played the hand fine. If the button had folded the turn, what would your play have been?

N4CER1
03-13-2004, 01:22 PM
IMO I think the pre flop call was right....But you only flop a set 1 in 8.5 times...I say you either flop a set or check and fold...I do not understand why you would bet on the flop...you must think that if you represent J's and the pre-flop raiser is going to fold ? what if he just calls and you then have to bet out again..you only have a 2 card out after the flop with a Aprox: 8% chance of hitting your card....and a 92% chance of not hitting....Those are not very good odds to bet into a raiser....save your money for the next hand...IMO

BigEndian
03-13-2004, 03:36 PM
I think a fold is still the correct play at that point - barring any reads on the opponent.

- Jim