PDA

View Full Version : Play of an overpair versus ridiculous caller

Guy McSucker
03-13-2004, 08:12 AM
How would you play a big pair against someone who'll call with anything?

Stars 50c-$1 NHLE. My foe in the hand to follow, who has recently sat down with a $40 stack, limps in, as do a few others. Flop comes J-8-2. BB bets $3, the player in question makes it $6, BB calls. Turn is a 5, putting two clubs out. BB bets $3, opponent makes it $6, BB calls. River is a non-club 3. BB bets $25, opponent moves in for $2 more, BB calls and loses to A-4 offsuit.

So this muppet has about $80 to my $120 when this hand comes up. Muppet limps, I make it $5 with two red queens. Folded to muppet who calls.

Flop: 7-4-2, two spades. Muppet bets $1, I raise to $15, he calls.

Turn is a 6, putting two hearts out. I am none too keen on this card but I imagine I will be ahead a lot of the time. The pot is about $40 and my opponent has $60 left. He bets $1.

I set him in. What would you have done?

Guy.

1800GAMBLER
03-13-2004, 10:45 AM
Same. Maybe more on the flop.

Jester999
03-13-2004, 11:35 AM
.50/1 Stars is my home base and players like this have helped build my bankroll oh so nicely over the last 6 months...

I would have played it EXACTLY the same....

Usually, posts like this end up in the guy sucking out or actually having a real hand. True? If so, I politely type 'nh' in the chat line, reload, and am ready to defend his play in case anybody wants to give him lessons. He's the big stack now and I'm dying for him to hang out for as long as possible.

SaintAces
03-13-2004, 01:35 PM
cover up extreme weakness. They may be betting a flush draw, attempting to show stregnth so you don't push in. My guess is a straight draw...

SpaceAce
03-13-2004, 01:54 PM
I think you did the right thing.

SpaceAce

Guy McSucker
03-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Thanks everyone.

Lately, whenever a big pot comes up, I am on the wrong end of it; worse, most of the money is going in with me a big underdog. This was a hand where that did indeed happen: my foe had 6-4 and caught his two pair on the turn.

It's very good to have my play confirmed as okay here. I don't mind losing as long as I'm playing okay... but this losing streak is getting kinda long now, so I'm doubting my play, hence the posts.

Thanks again!

Guy.