PDA

View Full Version : Satelites or Super Satelites?

poker-penguin
03-13-2004, 06:44 AM
Recently I've been trying to qualify for one of the Party Poker $250 (roughly) buyin tournaments. Because of timing issues, I've been doing it with Single table satelites (I'm never on when the multi table qualifiers are going starting).

But, if / when you try to qualify via the back door (I know some top players do get into big tournaments on the cheap so it could be a good idea) so you think it's better to go for 1st place on a single table or top X places in a multi?

I can guess it depends on which game you're better at, but after 4 consecutive failures at single table, I'm thinking that multis (at a third of the price) are possibly a more cash effective option. Although not time effective.

Your thoughts?

Greg (FossilMan)
03-13-2004, 04:41 PM
The strategies and playing decisions can be very different between the two. As you say, the best way to answer the question is to figure out which format you are best at (and which one the typical opponents are worst at). There is no inherent reason why one is better than the other.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Al_Capone_Junior
03-13-2004, 05:15 PM
My preference when playing on UB is to enter the $33+$3 tournament entry chip one table sats where three players get a chip worth $100 plus $10 cash. However, I really don't care much for UB and don't play there that much. On other sites I rarely enter the multi sats unless they pay off something like 1/6 - 1/10 players with an entry. When 1/33 (or something like that) get an entry it's not worth the time, I'd rather just buy in. In addition, the freerolls (like on stars) where 8 or 9 players get an entry are virtually NEVER worth the effort, as usually 1000+ players enter, so it will take all day to get an entry.

I did enter a 500 FPP tournament the other day where nine paid a $215 entry. The reason I entered it was because not that many players were in, about 80 or so. This was worth the effort, it wouldn't take that much time, and my chance of winning was quite reasonable, and the payoff was great since I did win an entry!

al