PDA

View Full Version : interesting hands in americas playground

knifeandfork
03-13-2004, 03:26 AM
hi all im new here been reading for a while but this is my first post so hopefully it has some value. i posted my first blind a year ago and just got back from testing my "skills" in atlantic city. i have mostly nl holdem experience, but have dabbled in a variety of games. so here are 2 hands i played this week
3-6 limit holdem at the taj 9 handed
i limp in the cutoff with Kd10d two fellow limpers in mp and the bb join me for the flop
10h 6d 7c
bb bets mp1 calls mp 2 calls i raise to 6 bb 3 bets mp caps and mp2 calls i fold
my thoughts were that this was not a wild crazy table, the bb was a pretty tight player mp 1 was willing to mix it up and mp 2 was just plain ol calling station bad mainly for the bb to 3 bet i thought at worst he had 67 but more likely a set mp could easily be the one with A10 or even a worse ten thatn mine and considering the preflop i couldnt figure anyone for an overpair. as it turned out bb didihave two pair and took it leaving me to wonder if putting him on a set was giving too much respect as i will make trips or better two pair or backdoor a flush about 20 percent of the time thoughts appreciated on this hand. it seems like the less i play hands like this one the more i win but in this situation i could have taken a big pot but still think i mayhave been correct to fold for the additional two bets
next
playing 1-3 stud no ante $1 bring in (trying to learn a little stud here)
(Jd 5d) 7d
brought in for one by the deuce of clubs (incidentlally this poor guy brought it in 8 times in a row i dont play much stud but man......) im next to act and seeing no diamonds decide to give htis one a shot to see if i can catch another diamonds on 4th i call the younglady to my left calls as does one other player doors are 2c 5d 4c Ah in that order 4th street brings the 4d for me and the 4s to pair the youngladt on my left shebets the 3 dollar max the aces has caught an off Q and calls the deuce folds and i call the next card i catch is a black 6 so now im going straight or flush the young lady catches a 10 and the ace hits a blank looking 9d. shebets tha max again and i feel like i have to see another card having only seen one other diamond up to now and picking up the straight draw to boot. she is screaming trips or Ks/Aces up but i can beat those easily with my draw and two people arte coming with me so why not the 6th st is a blank for me and the ace catches a three she 44s bets again and the othjer guy folds i call muttering to myself the river is a j for me so after a very promising draw i have a measly pair of jacks but there are alot of bets in the pot ....... she bets of course and i think for a minute and babbble the only thing i can beat is a bluff i call she smiles as i show my mighty jacks and sends her hand to the muck! i dunno i f i recounted the action exactly as it went down but in the end i stacked up 36 little white chips for one heck of a call. (ps thank you all of you who dont complain that this is the holdem forum i realized that about half thru this hand:)
well if you read this thank you and your thoughts are appreciated. hope its the first of some that are more interesting

Dynasty
03-14-2004, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...leaving me to wonder if putting him on a set was giving too much respect as i will make trips or better two pair or backdoor a flush about 20 percent of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

The first step studious players seem to take in developing their hand reading skills is figuring out all the hands their opponents could have which beat them or are drawing very live against them. Unfortunately, a pattern seems to develop where these studious players seem to neglect all possibilities other than their opponents having bigger hands or big draws. They get into a philosophy of "They can't possibly be raising or calling me if I'm not beat".

That's something you should guard against.

I'd post the stud hand in the stud forum.

Mike Gallo
03-14-2004, 10:00 PM
i limp in the cutoff with Kd10d two fellow limpers in mp and the bb join me for the flop

Two people limped to you? I would have raised.

Flop, fine.

..Dude you just left me hanging /images/graemlins/frown.gif Then you switched up on me and went to stud.

Stay off the drugs son /images/graemlins/blush.gif