PDA

View Full Version : xm and sirius radio

Ray Zee
03-12-2004, 08:45 PM
time for those that know to explain the good and bad or each.

imported_Chuck Weinstock
03-12-2004, 08:52 PM
I don't know alot about them, I've only investigated them a bit when considering a purchase. There is one thing about them that would make my choice a clear one:

Sirius - has NPR
XM - has Fox News

Neither has both.

For me, all other considerations would be secondary if I would ever decide to buy one.

Chuck

Ray Zee
03-12-2004, 08:57 PM
i listen to npr all the time but get it easily on local radio most places.

fox news i wouldnt listen to if the radio spit nickels out at me.

mosch
03-13-2004, 03:28 AM
I had XM radio in a rental a week or two ago, and was distinctly unimpressed with the music selection. XM and Sirius let you listen to small bits of their music online (20 minutes or a half hour, I believe), so you can see if any of it fits your fancy.

If you have kids who like Radio Disney, that's on XM. If you're an NPR listener, that's on Sirius. I still want one that does BOTH.

BadBoyBenny
03-13-2004, 12:43 PM
I'm pretty sure Sirius has the NFL exclusively.

Al_Capone_Junior
03-13-2004, 07:09 PM
since NPR is not available in all locales via normal radio channels, that would sway my choice. I've not considered fox news as high a priority.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
03-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Yea, NPR rocks. I like "the world," "all things considered," "talk of the nation science friday," and "prairie home companion," especially the news from lake wilbigon.

al

HDPM
03-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Since getting XM I have forgotten how awful it was to come across Prairie Home Companion while looking for a little jazz or classical. Since I have XM I no longer have to run that risk on weekends. Nothing is worse than hearing a millisecond of PHC. I would much rather listen to a thrilling rebroadcast of the radio coverage of the '88 Goody's Headache Powder 500 on the NASCAR channel than 30 seconds about lake kill yourself now or whatever it is.

I have never listened to Foxnews on XM. Well, maybe 5 min worth. BBC world is nearby on the dial and much better than NPR. NPR is OK if you have 3 stations. I guess XM would be slightly better w/ it, and if sirius has the NFL that is a real consideration. When I chose the pro0gramming looked similar, but I may have overlooked some things. I chose based on the fact XM looked more financially stable and had a better chance of being around for the long haul. If both survive my choice may have been wrong. But I like XM well enough.

scalf
03-13-2004, 08:19 PM
/images/graemlins/blush.gif i just crank up my 8-track and zoom along..that fm radio is underground crap not good enuf for am..

gl /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

jstnrgrs
03-13-2004, 10:55 PM
I was just looking at the eabsites, and sirius does have the NFL, and NHL, but neither have MLB.

Michael Davis
03-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Please take note that a respected poker authority is knowingly recommending a -EV play here.

-Michael

J_V
03-14-2004, 03:38 AM
I owned stock in both. XMSR made me a bundle. SIRI was blaze'.