PDA

View Full Version : US vs Europe Match

t_perkin
03-12-2004, 06:05 PM
Seeing as we all know that all the best players here come from Europe, a few people over at the Toons forum (the best forum) thought it might be an idea to make it all official.
It will really be just a rubber stamp event, as the result is near enough a forgone conclusion. But we thought it might be nice anyway.

Maybe those of you not privileged enough to live in Europe but not so unfortunate to live in THAT PLACE could generate a third team?

Still at the early idea stage, just thought I would see what sort of feelings you dirty zoo folk had about this.

tim

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sheriff Fatman
03-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Tim

I've been chatting to Mike and Simon about getting this up and running so am offering to take on the administration of this, as I'd already done a bit of background work on a similar idea prior to the post on the SnG forum.

Assuming that no-one objects to this I'd quite like to get an indication of interested parties at this stage so I can figure out the most workable format before putting the idea back to the forum. Much as I love the idea of USA vs Europe (to demonstrate our superiority) it will, by definition, potentially exclude some folk who would want to play (e.g would the Canadians want to be part of a USA team? - I would guess probably not). Are there enough people to form 2 separate European teams, say UK & Ireland and a Rest of Europe team? Could we have a Rest of the World team?

Depending on the answers to this, it may be possible to develop a wider contest than the one outline, be it as a set of seperate two-team tournaments or as one big, single event with all teams competing at once.

The other consideration I have at present is that a lot of people are currently focused on HULA which is still bedding down and I'd hate for this event to compete with or detract from that in any way. However, this gives us a perfect window of opportunity to develop this idea over the next few weeks and come up with what will hopefully be another great, inter-forum event.

As you can see I've been doing a fair bit of thinking about this type of event already. Therefore, assuming that no-one objects with me volunteering to take this on initially, all I'm looking for at the present time is an indication of who would be willing to play in a 'Nation' v 'Nation' event and who you would want to represent. If you have any particularly strong views about who you wouldn't want to represent (e.g a Canadian not wishing to be grouped in with an American team, or vice versa) then this would also be useful. People can either post onto this thread or PM me directly with this info.

I will then get cracking in trying to get an event organised along whichever format seems to fit best and will post a suggestion back to the board once I've had a chance to try and work out the logistics, and negotiate with potential hosts. The intention would be formalise details of the event in a few weeks time, thus letting the HULA competition bed down further and giving us a reasonable amount of time to get a format that suits as many people as possible.

Please let me have any feedback/views on this and in the meantime let me know whether you are interested in playing.

Looking forward to hearing the first jingoistic trash-talk!

Thanks a lot

Sheriff
(Volunteer organising monkey)

Mike Haven
03-12-2004, 07:08 PM
If there was an All Ireland or a Northern Ireland Team, I'd be interested, Sheriff.

morgant
03-12-2004, 07:23 PM
Europe vs. USA vs. Other(canada, australia, south dakota).
or
Eastern Hemisphere vs. Western Hemisphere

and as for europe being dominant, it is okay that you need to group together several countries to combat our one United country!

on a serious note, sounds like a great idea and one that would garner supreme bragging rights!

ThaSaltCracka
03-12-2004, 08:26 PM
this sounds like an awesome idea

DougBrennan
03-12-2004, 08:53 PM
I'd be more than up for it. I just hope the east coast types still consider California part of the United States. Otherwise, I'll just apply for honorary Irish status.

Doug

smudgex68
03-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Great idea. As I'm moving to Luxembourg for tax reasons, can I be the Luxembourg team captain please please please

William
03-12-2004, 09:21 PM
I think a nation event is a very bad idea. Some countries will be over-represented and some under-represented and the paper work would be terrible.

I much better like the Europe vs USA idea, perhaps with a "rest of the world" team or the possibility for posters from other countries to freely choose if they want to join the European or the American team

I just can't imagine anybody wanting to join the American team. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

William (have I recently told that I am leading the KotZ tournament?) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

smudgex68
03-12-2004, 09:36 PM
Good point,
as I'm moving to Luxembourg, MN (who would ever go to Luxembourg, Europe), maybe I could be considered for the US team

TimTimSalabim
03-12-2004, 10:46 PM
How about North America v Europe, then it's on a continent v continent basis, and the Canadians won't be left out.

jwp
03-12-2004, 11:07 PM
I'm interested and think the N. America v. Europe sounds best and easiest.

smudgex68
03-12-2004, 11:19 PM
So we're thinking about going intercontinetntal, cool