PDA

View Full Version : What to do when you know you're beat?

Vazh
03-12-2004, 05:02 PM
I've run into this a lot the last couple days where I know I'm beat on the turn but call down anyway. Opponent is a typical loose passive. I think it's ok to call this down but would like someone to tell me whether I'm right or I'm full of it.

Poker Stars $2/$4 (5 handed)
Hero has A/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is CO

UTG calls, Hero raises, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls

Flop: J/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif

BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, BB calls, UTG calls

Turn: [J/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif] 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, BB raises, UTG folds, Hero calls

River: [J/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif] 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB bets, Hero calls

Results in white:

<font color="white"> Hero shows Ac Ah, BB shows 8h 7h </font>

rory
03-12-2004, 05:06 PM

naphand
03-13-2004, 04:20 AM
Against an opponent who you describe as loose/passive, you can fold. Against a more aggressive player, who will semi-bluff raise hands like 2nd-pair/OESD, you need to call down much more often. A player who will wait until the Turn to raise TP/weak kicker, you can also call down.

Calling down is for future hands as much as this one, to discourage other players from bluffing into you and you making a mathematically-catastrophic fold with weaker hands that would still win at showdown.