PDA

View Full Version : evaluating your oun performance

bailey37902
03-12-2004, 04:52 PM
I put this in the general forum, but maybe it's better here.

I've got a general question on evaluating ones own performance. I realize this subject has probably been addressed before, so forgive me for being repetitive. My question deals with using Poker Tracker or something similar to give me an idea of how well I’m doing overall.
A little background. I’m relatively new to hold ‘em, been playing for about 7 months, and very new to this site. I usually play UltimateBet $1/.50 no limit, and have been successful over the last 7 months. Now I know that even 7 months of playing isn’t a very big sample of hands and I shouldn’t place too much stock in my results, but am curious when a person knows when it is time to move up to a larger blind table. I’ve made about $1500 playing ~4-5 hrs/wk plus one or two games with friends a week (with people who are by no means good, and this is coming from true rookie). I’ve got a pretty heavy math background, and am sure the stats that Pokertracker gives are exactly what I’m looking for, but I don’t know which ones to look at and how muck weight to assign to each stat. Are there just a few that could give me an “off the cuff” evaluation of my play? Or do I need to have a good understanding of everything pokertracker provides? Also, how do most people decide when to move up to a higher limit table? Is it usually a function of how much profit you make at a given limit, because I could see having a good run, hitting your “goal” and moving up prematurely. I just got Pokertracker last night after reading about it here (the check is in the mail), so I don’t have a lot of hands on it yet, but I want to be prepared when I get some on there. Also, I don’t want it to sound like I’m using this as some sort of teaching tool, but statistical analysis of my play is enough to make a math dork’s mouth water.
Sorry if this post isn’t as articulate as most of the other posts – does is strike anyone else as odd how well these people illustrate their ideas – but realize your talking to someone who chose a math major so I wouldn’t have to write anymore papers.

Thanks in advance.