PDA

View Full Version : Major Leak: How to play AK when you miss the flop

novamob
03-12-2004, 04:36 PM
I usually play 1/2 at Party, and the games are usually loose. Often I will raise with AK. If the flop comes J64r, what is the proper play? If I am in EP do I bet it trying to represent that the flop helped me, and hope to scare others away? What if I get raised? OR do I check from EP? If it checks to me in LP, do I see the turn for free?

Assuming I have no reads on my opponents, what is the proper play here?

JDErickson
03-12-2004, 04:41 PM
It depends /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Really can't make this decision without more details. Post a few examples and we can tell more.

GENERALLY I will bet out on the flop if in EP after a PF raise. If I get raised I usually call depending on board. If checked to me in MP or LP I will bet also in hopes of buying button and getting a free card on turn.

If I get bet into on the flop I generally will call 80% of time and raise 10% of time and fold 10% of time. Again depending on board and opponents.

Jim

Schmed
03-12-2004, 04:46 PM
flops like this I either bet out or C/R an LP player. The only other option is to check fold and I really don't like that option with AK. Say you bet out, raised, reraised, you might as well fold.

In an lp checked to me I bet. In an lp with one bet to me I raise. I an LP bet and a raise I fold.

BottlesOf
03-12-2004, 04:56 PM
There is a thread currently on page 4 of this forum, started by Norm called "AK AQ chasing." It contains the best treatment of this question that I've seen on these boards. Everyone agrees that a certain amount of experience is necessary to play these situations well.

I would link the thread here, but I seem to be the only person who doesn't know how to do that.

J.R.
03-12-2004, 05:14 PM
AK AQ chasing (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=433788&page=1&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

Bottles, open the thread you would like to link, right click on that thread and select "create shortcut". A shortcut will appear on your desktop. Open the shortcut on your desktop and use the url from this shortcut, which is a specific link to the thread, not the generic twoplustwo url.

sattre
03-12-2004, 05:15 PM
Hmmmm. Check-raising when you miss? Could you explain the rationale a bit more? I do realize that if you're up against some opponents, they may fold if you bet the turn or give a free card if you check, but it seems that this could easily backfire. With what hands would a person typically raise PF in EP/MP and check-raise with Jack-high on the flop?

I couldn't find the suggested thread about missing when you PF raise AK or AQ. Anyone have the link?

BottlesOf
03-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Thanks!

Schmed
03-12-2004, 05:31 PM
I'll c/r on a flop like this sometimes to clean things up a bit. I want to make sure that I knock out the guy with the 44 who may call one but wont call two to spike his set. Someone who is playing some garbage J, like say J2 of spade, in a later position may fold to the C/R if he doesn't have his flush draw.. If he calls he's stuck and will pay off to the river even when your ace or K hits. AK likes to see the river with less people in the hand. The LP bettor may be on a flush draw.

sattre
03-12-2004, 05:47 PM
I don't know. I wouldn't imagine you're going to go much further with this hand unless you spike your A or K on the turn or can manage to get a free card to see the river. By "44" you must mean someone who just has a pair of fours, since one hit the flop. If I were against another low PP, I wouldn't be too concerned of them catching, since they only have 2 outs, and you still have no pair. Maybe you can get him to fold, but you're the one drawing, and unless this is a very tight-passive table, you'll usually end up in a showdown, especially if it was raised PF. If someone were to hold onto J2 after a PF raise, I don't think they would let top pair go to a check-raise on the flop, and again, unless this is a very untypically tight-passive table, AK is the one drawing here.

I think S&M's recommendation of C/Ring AK on the flop was in the shorthanded section of HPFAP, especially against aggressive opponents.