PDA

View Full Version : A recurring situation

Pipedream
03-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Today I had a few hands that were very similar in the way of betting patterns and results. It was a short handed game with weakish opposition. I open raise with a medium suited ace like A /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif and get called by one of the blinds. Board comes down something like K /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, it's checked and called. Turn brings another club giving me the trump flush and my opponent bets into me. Now, what do you do here? Do you raise immediately or call and let him bet the river for you with an inferior hand? Or do you raise immediately?

Three times I had this almost exact situation and raised the turn when opponent bet and every time they mucked. I just want to know what you all think is the best play.

Pipedream

FletchJr.
03-12-2004, 04:34 PM
That's completely player dependent.

is he aggressive? will he laydown weak hands?
would he continue to bet the river?
do you think he's bluffing?

Clarkmeister
03-12-2004, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Today I had a few hands that were very similar in the way of betting patterns and results. It was a short handed game with weakish opposition. I open raise with a medium suited ace like A /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif and get called by one of the blinds. Board comes down something like K /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, it's checked and called. Turn brings another club giving me the trump flush and my opponent bets into me. Now, what do you do here? Do you raise immediately or call and let him bet the river for you with an inferior hand? Or do you raise immediately?

Three times I had this almost exact situation and raised the turn when opponent bet and every time they mucked. I just want to know what you all think is the best play.

Pipedream

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on your post, the more interesting question is what do you do when the flop is Kc8c4h the turn is the 3c and you have JhJd or AhQh.

You miss far more often than you make in this game, maybe you should ask yourself if their reaction gives you information about how you are percieved and how you play your "misses".

Diplomat
03-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Hi Pipe,

IMO, generally the raise is fine, assuming there are many times you will raise the turn with a mix of hands.

-Diplomat

nykenny
03-12-2004, 04:44 PM
what limit? live or online?

for live game, my solution by the third time would be, muck half way, stare him down, and say "i don't believe you have anything, and i call!", then turbo raise him on river, hehe /images/graemlins/grin.gif

online, i'd wait till the ocean card and then do a 30 sec raise...
Kenny

shemp
03-12-2004, 04:44 PM
My default is to raise. I try to keep track of players who look to drop. You raised preflop and there is a K on board, and many players will be willing to give you AK so their turn actions can be read in that light. I don't know if I make enough money on the nuts either, good thing I don't get them very often.

astroglide
03-12-2004, 04:53 PM
i'll raise if i intended to call them down with ace high or i think they'll fold what they're betting

risen
03-12-2004, 05:02 PM
though mixing up your play is a good thing, when playing in a heads up pot, when someone bets into me and I have the nuts I feel no need to let them know they are beaten on the turn. By smooth calling the turn on a non threatening board, you allow the opponent to catch something on the river and get overagressive. If he checks the river, he wasn't going to call a turn raise anyway, but allowing him to keep control of the hand will usually keep him betting into you, and your river reraise might just get 3 bet.

Gabe
03-13-2004, 06:44 AM
I will usually raise against most. His bet is sometimes a small flush, sometimes a pair that has now picked up a flush draw. Another /images/graemlins/club.gif will kill the action if he has a small flush, since he may not bet the river. If he has a big /images/graemlins/club.gif he might bet into me again on the river.

I'll wait only if he has a high propensity to bluff.

bernie
03-13-2004, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Three times I had this almost exact situation and raised the turn when opponent bet and every time they mucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

By the 3rd time, why not try just calling? OR maybe you're not raising enough other hands in this situation.

b