PDA

View Full Version : Raising an all-in bet -- Rule clarification

ElSapo
03-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Apologies in advance b/c I know this is in the archives, but my searches, depending on what I search, turn up altrenatively 18,000 posts and none.

In limit (or no limit), if a player bets, calls or raises all-in for less than half a bet, can subsequent players raise this? If it is exactly half a bet? More than half?

Thanks.

El Sapo

LetsRock
03-12-2004, 02:19 PM
In no-limit, I don't think it matters - you can usually bet whatever you want.

In limit, I think it depends in part on the house rules. In general, if you have not previously checked, I beleive you can raise a full bet. If you checked, I beleive you are restricted to raise the amount of the partial bet. If the partial bet is more than 50 or more, I bleive you are able to raise a full bet.

This is not an official recital of the rules - it's what I understand them to be.

pudley4
03-12-2004, 02:43 PM
In limit, if the all-in is less than half a bet, subsequent players may only call the all-in or complete to a full bet. If a player has already acted and only checked/called, he may only call the all-in, he may not complete. Once a subsequent player completes, any player may then put in a full raise.

If the all-in is 1/2 bet or more, any subsequent player may call the all-in or raise a full bet.

J.R.
03-24-2004, 08:13 PM
In big bet, "A player who has already checked or called may not subsequently raise an all-in bet that is less than the full size of the last bet or raise. (The half-the-size rule for reopening the betting is for limit poker only."

Ciaffone's rules (http://www.diamondcs.net/~thecoach/RobsPkrRules4.htm)

J.R.
03-25-2004, 06:08 PM
Also, the Tournament Directors Rules state:

"In no-limit, less than a full raise does not reopen the betting to a player who already has acted"

TDA Rule 39 (http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/behindtable/tda-rules.htm)

GuyOnTilt
03-29-2004, 07:14 AM
Pudley's right on. If you have already checked on that street, you may not complete an all-in bet that is not an official bet. Reason being that the player did not technically make a bet, and since you've already checked, you can't make the "first" bet since you already had the chance. If you are yet to act on that street, you may complete it. If the all-in bet is technically a bet (usually half a bet or more at most places), then you may raise it, even if you've already checked.

I've seen many players going for a check-raise in these situations, only to have it be pulled back by the dealer. They just gave away a lot of information that they wouldn't have if they'd known the rules. This is definitely one to know.

GoT