PDA

View Full Version : Tough decision on PartyPoker NL 100

SammyBenz
03-12-2004, 10:21 AM
I have Tc9c in early position (2nd to act, 10 players) and I have everyone comfortably outstacked with about $280 in front of me. There hasn't been much raising pre-flop, so I figured I can sneak in a <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="black"> </font> limp for $2, and see a flop. so a number of people enter with whatever garbage they're willing to call $2 for, and the flop comes down:

T 8 7

with one club. certainly a better flop than I anticipated. the pot is now $11 after the rake, so after the blinds check i make it $8. it's folded around to some guy in mid position who makes it $25. everyone folds to me, the guy has another $70 in front of him.

As I'm trying to put this joker on a hand, here's what's going through my mind:

1. Did he flop the nuts with J9? If so, first of all let me say that he's an a-hole for limping J9 and even more of an a-hole for nutting it on the flop. But i didn't think this guy had enough sophistication to fast-play his made hand. He would just see big stack betting out, and try to trap me on the turn or river. So I was not afraid of J9, and on that same token, not afraid of 96 either.

2. Did he flop a medium set? A real possibility. He limped in pre-flop and got really excited when three medium cards came down. His hard bet is logical, considering that with a set he would not want to see a fourth straight card come down. But even here, I have 8 outs to a straight in addition to runner-runner boat outs (assuming the set is not TT). And online, it's really hard actually to put someone on a set. It's a rare hand, and even if he did hit it, I'm drawing live.

3. Does he have a huge overpair? No. This guy definitely would have raised it pre-flop, especially with loose limp money already in the pot.

4. Is he on top pair? Likely. JT, QT, KT, and AT all crossed my mind here. But with the exception of JT, I am drawing extremely live against all those hands. I was willing to gamble against a hand like that.

5. Is he on a bluff or semibluff (like QJ) trying to look me up? Maybe. I'm happy to give him action in this case.

6. Did he hit two pair on the flop? Again, maybe. I still have so many outs.

Well, that's my thought process. There was already 11+8+25=$44 in the pot, and I'm not one to let $44 go peacefully by the wayside. I decided to raise him all in, and he called for his last $70. the turn came a 4, the river a 6 -- giving me the second nuts. I dragged the pot. Any comments or guesses as to what he had?

JPMcMoney
03-12-2004, 12:51 PM
my guess would put him on one of 2 hands. I'm thinking with that bet he is sitting on J10 or 78. The raise tells me "I'm sitting on top pair and can still make the str8, or I have 2 pair". I would definitely consider a set, but like you, I'm thinking other hands first and these are the 2 that jump out at me. Nice call and take down on your part. By the way, did you end up finding out what he had?

SammyBenz
03-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Yeah, turns out he had 87 suited, bottom two pair.