PDA

View Full Version : Was this stupid?

gcDanno
03-12-2004, 08:07 AM
PokerStars $11 rebuy No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (8 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

MP2 (t33125)
CO (t22585)
Button (t13115)
SB (t17660)
Hero (t13815)
UTG (t21633)
UTG+1 (t22901)
MP1 (t10400)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, hogtown folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button raises to t1200, SB folds, Hero raises to t13765, Button calls t11865 (All-In).

Final Pot: t27130
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: t26430 (t26430), between Button and Hero.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: t700 (t700), overbet by Hero.</font>

I felt the button was attempting a steal, which he was as he held Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I am about 150 of 250 at the time, slightly below average stack.

Flop was: 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif and I'm out. ARG

ohkanada
03-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Yeah.

Sure he may well be attempting a steal but at best you are a slight favorite unless he is stealing with a deuce in his hand.

Now I agree that the buttons call of your raise is bad as well.

Ken Poklitar

gcDanno
03-12-2004, 01:14 PM
So you are saying I should fold or call?

ohkanada
03-12-2004, 01:45 PM
I likely call. Sometimes I bet out (1800 or so) on the flop. Most often I muck unless I hit a set of course.

Ken Poklitar

cferejohn
03-12-2004, 02:51 PM
The button's call of your all-in was bay far worse than the all-in itself. However, if you knew the button would call with hands this weak, than the all-in itself was bad since you are going to be called with a coinflip far more often than you would like (and it seems like this player would definitely call with any pair, which is very bad for you).

Against an opponent who would lay down some pairs (say up to 77 or 88) and most overcards (say everything except AK and AQ), this is a much better move. Now, you may have had no basis to know how loose your opponent would call here, but now you do, so stay away from restealing against this guy, but feel free to come over the top of him liberally when you have a strong hand JJ-AA, AK, even AQ, knowing that he may well call as a big dog.

I'll often muck low pairs in this kind of situation (medium stack, loose/aggressive raiser). If I do play them, I'll almost always bet out on the flop (or check-raise if stacks are deep enough) and shut it down if called or raised.

Tyler Durden
03-12-2004, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Against an opponent who would lay down some pairs (say up to 77 or 88) and most overcards (say everything except AK and AQ), this is a much better move.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree totally.

Your play here is not a bad one. I might try it, but usually I'd just call. I wouldn't recommend it against a player you don't have a good read on.

If he's good or decent, it's a good play, though he may have a real hand. But everyone knows you don't call off all your chips with QT. Just ask Phil H. (reference to the WSOP when his TPTK lost to Sammy Farha's flush with the QJd). Though Phil did check the flop b/c he thought Sammy was aggressive enough to bet any flop. Unfortunately Sammy checked behind and took the free turn card that made his flush.