PDA

View Full Version : Two 5 Card Stud Questions

Al Mirpuri
03-12-2004, 07:15 AM
First, has anyone played 5 Card Stud: Bet or Drop with the low card being asked to bet (or drop) first on the opening round?

Secondly, has anyone ever played 5 Card Stud High/Low with an eight qualifier? How does it play?

Greg (FossilMan)
03-12-2004, 12:19 PM
I've never played bet or drop in any form.

5-stud hi-lo with an 8 qualifier should play 99% the same as hi only. You can't play for low in such a game, because no matter what, the river card is going to kill your hand 2/3 of the time. Why would you ever pay money to get to having 4 cards, knowing you still won't make your low 2/3 of the time? You would have to be in a large, multiway pot with little or probably no raising, and you'd have to start with a suited A, like Ah2h, and then continue to catch low hearts. Other than a hand like that, I don't see how you could draw for low (because you're really drawing for high here, and might back into a low).

Even with no qualifier, unless your opponent is showing a K or maybe a Q, you can't play for low unless you have significant backup to draw for high.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

theBruiser500
03-12-2004, 01:35 PM
I've played a little of...

5 card stud hi lo with a buy on the river and secret declerations. (the lo can be any lo, it doesnt need to be 8 or better)

this is a super cool game, wish I wasn't the only one that has played it.

danny

youtalkfunny
03-13-2004, 02:17 AM
We used to play 5-stud H/L with two "twists".

Deal one up and one down. Bet.
Deal third street. Bet.

Each player may now replace one of their cards. You can replace your hole card for a new down card, or an upcard for a new upcard. Bet.

Deal fourth street. Bet.

Deal fifth street. Bet.

"Twist" again, just like we did after third street. Bet.

Showdown.

(Of course, when it came to poker, we were all idiots. I have no idea how it plays with a skilled group of players.)

Phat Mack
03-13-2004, 05:58 AM
(Of course, when it came to poker, we were all idiots. I have no idea how it plays with a skilled group of players.)

I've played it with two and three twists on the end, and with simultaneous declaration, it's a high-skill game.

I've also played 6-card, twist two or none. With serial declaration for twist (from the last bettor)and simultaneous declaration for high lo, it's a great game.

youtalkfunny
03-13-2004, 02:35 PM
I just remembered!

If you were the button, you got to see everyone's twist, AND THE NEW CARD THEY CAUGHT, before deciding if you wanted to twist yourself.

Like I said, we were idiots.

Naturally, I called this game every time it was my turn to deal.

Phat Mack
03-13-2004, 04:57 PM
If you were the button, you got to see everyone's twist, AND THE NEW CARD THEY CAUGHT, before deciding if you wanted to twist yourself.

This probably tops the list for dealer-advantage games!

Like I said, we were idiots.

Naturally, I called this game every time it was my turn to deal.

You were no idiot... /images/graemlins/smile.gif