PDA

View Full Version : Kerpowski's 5-10 NLHE hands featuring poor analysis (LOOOONG)

Acesover8s
03-12-2004, 04:02 AM
I was very interested to see Kerpowski’s hands. I have just begun to venture into this $5-$10 game, and I believe he has too. I do not consider myself a very good holdem player, and my commentary will probably reflect that, so if anyone disagrees, please jump in and call me out.

To begin with, overall, I think you had great preflop hand selection. You seem very aware of position. But, I did notice that you were more likely to raise preflop with a hand like AT than you were with a hand like AK. Now, obviously this was a small sample size, and most of your Aks were in EP. I am curious why this is?

Most of your preflop choices were similair to my own, but I was surprised by one hand where you called behind 1 limper with K5 suited in a tight aggressive game. And another hand where you open limped on the button with 22. These seemed like poor choices to me.

Hand 1)

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (8 handed)

CO ($1582)
Button ($931.50)
SB ($455)
BB ($1125)
Kerpowski ($2098.50)
UTG+1 ($378)
MP1 ($872)
MP2 ($1830)

Preflop: Kerpowski is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Kerpowski calls $10, UTG+1 calls $10, MP1 calls $10, MP2 calls $10, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($60) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Kerpowski checks, UTG+1 bets $10, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, SB folds, BB folds, Kerpowski calls $10.

Turn: ($80) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Kerpowski bets $80, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: $160

It was nice for UTG+1 to bet so small here, but with that hand on that flop I would assume I had the best hand and bet out. Of course in the hands I sent you there was a hand where I was nightmarishly overaggressive with AK no pair, so take this at face value.

Hand 2)

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (5 handed)

Button ($1427.50)
SB ($1010)
Kerpowski ($1210)
UTG ($689.50)
MP ($743)

Preflop: Kerpowski is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls $10, MP folds, Button folds, SB raises to $20, Kerpowski calls $10, UTG calls $10.

Flop: ($60) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB bets $60, Kerpowski raises to $120, UTG folds, SB raises to $420, Kerpowski folds.

Final Pot: $600

I have played many hands with the SB here, and you are most likely beaten. However, this flop minraise always screams to me, I have a good hand and want to find out where I’m at, if you raise me again I’ll fold. Against many players this is a good strategy, against a few others they are going to recognize it and make a play.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (9 handed)

UTG+1 ($840)
MP1 ($1162)
MP2 ($1829)
MP3 ($1136)
Kerpowski ($1246)
Button ($440)
SB ($894)
BB ($475)
UTG ($722.50)

Preflop: Kerpowski is CO with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG raises to $75, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Kerpowski calls $75, Button folds, SB calls $70, BB folds.

Flop: ($235) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG bets $647.5 (All-In), Kerpowski calls $647.50, SB folds.

Turn: ($1530) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($1530) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $1530

Perfect, glad it worked out. Against this player I wouldn’t be surprised to be shown A-high here. After Matt Flynn’s posts I’m leaning more and more to just calling raises with hands like JJ.

SB ($830)
BB ($1097)
UTG ($1819)
UTG+1 ($1136)
Kerpowski ($2040.50)
MP2 ($375)
MP3 ($809)
CO ($1028)
Button ($1142)

Preflop: Kerpowski is MP1 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Kerpowski calls $10, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls $10, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($35) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Kerpowski checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($35) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Kerpowski bets $35, CO folds, BB calls $35.

River: ($105) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Kerpowski bets $105, BB folds.

Final Pot: $210

Give the Jacks back between hands, alright? I think I would still raise my JJ preflop here. But onto the flop play I hate the check. If an AQK (or the case 5) falls your hand is either dead or much harder to play. Its nice to flop a boat, but this is the most vulnerable way to flop it. If your opponent has a hand like 77 or TT you don’t want to lose your action later in the hand, and you are likely to get more of your stack in right away.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (10 handed)

MP2 ($1602)
MP3 ($922.50)
CO ($475)
Button ($1125)
Kerpowski ($2248.50)
BB ($301)
UTG ($1018.50)
UTG+1 ($945)
UTG+2 ($847)
MP1 ($1616)

Preflop: Kerpowski is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $10, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Kerpowski raises to $40, BB folds, MP1 calls $30.

Flop: ($90) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Kerpowski bets $90, MP1 raises to $360, Kerpowski folds.

Final Pot: $540

You’ve raised preflop with a marginal hand and been called. This flop is very unlikely to have hit you and is so well coordinated he knows you may lay down a monster here. You have outs. While I would have suredly bet here, in hindsight I wonder if a check would be better?

Button ($1582)
SB ($912.50)
BB ($465)
UTG ($1125)
Kerpowski ($2108.50)
MP1 ($378)
MP2 ($990)
MP3 ($872)
CO ($1830)

Preflop: Kerpowski is UTG+1 with 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, Kerpowski calls $10, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($30) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Kerpowski checks.

Turn: ($30) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>

River: ($30) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: $30

This is a small pot, but you gave it to him. Sure its only 3 BBs, but he is begging you to pick it up, these sorts of hands add up.

There were many hands that I thought you played wonderfully, but I don't want to turn this into a pat you on the back session. You had great results, I am certain they will continue for you.

Aces

theBruiser500
03-12-2004, 04:42 AM
When he had ATs I don't see how he can't bet at again on the flop unless he had a really great read here that his opponent had something.

Aces, I think it would be helpful if you posted some more hands. Even hands where nothing much happened, where he limped preflop and then folded on the flop, or some of those hands he played well that you mentioned. We should ask Jay! what type of hands he wants us to be posting, from your post I didn't really get a feel for how Kerpowski played. Just my opinion, maybe other people have thoughts on how many hands we should be posting?

danny

Acesover8s
03-12-2004, 05:12 AM
After reading some of the other posts I felt that I was already posting too many hands. I guess I could post the hand types you mention, but I thought we were looking for possible leaks. Many of the hands at this level do not make it past the flop. The player in question had few bet and take it hands.

I posted the hands that were of most interest to me, but this may not be what is of most interest to the forum. Perhaps, if Kerpowski agrees I could mail these hands to you and you could add the hands you felt interesting.

I am now going to have to redo my summary of your hands, as I only included 3 hands in my writeup, after reading through them for about an hour.

kerpowski
03-12-2004, 10:55 AM
If the Bruiser wants to take a look at my hands he's more than welcome to. If you still have the hands can you drop him the email? (I already deleted the file)

I'll warn you ahead of time most of what you'll see besides what Aces posted is: Fold... fold... limp, miss flop, fold... followed aggressively by yet more folding.

Matt Flynn
03-12-2004, 12:16 PM
not enough time right now to do all.

first hand check the turn. he can't call you but may bluff and has little chance of catching up if you're ahead. if he checks bet the river as much as you think he'll call with a seven.

matt

theBruiser500
03-12-2004, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not enough time right now to do all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you inventing some kind of short handed English?

Matt Flynn
03-12-2004, 01:21 PM
i am learning zee english

join our laziness screw the shift key punctuation is oppression sheep

kerpowski
03-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Aces, if you look at that K5s hand the limper was the player I busted with the JJ hand and he had just pushed me off of a hand the hand before. That call was my version of tilt.

Hand 2

This was a case of me not paying attention to the preflop action. If I had remembered that the player in question had raised preflop I would have been out of that hand on the flop.

Hand 4

This was me thinking of Limon's post about wanting to be the raiser rather than the bettor on flops like this. I wanted someone to bluff at the pot or catch a smaller boat so I could break them. I was perfectly fine with releasing this hand if an overcard fell and my bet was called.

Hand 5

I think I picked the wrong person to mess with on that hand. The player in question can be very aggressive and could have made that bet with almost anything. A check may have been a better idea but I hate playing passive after I raised preflop.

Hand 6

Yeah, I was kicking myself for not betting the turn on this one.