PDA

View Full Version : An observation about the switch from limit to NL ring games

Gomez22
03-12-2004, 12:09 AM
OK.. .granted I've only been playing NL for maybe 2 weeks now, but I have discovered something that sorta made me shake my head a little.

Playing NL games has vastly improved my board-reading skills.

I know this may sound corny, but it's true. In limit play, I never thought mcuh about my board reading skills, and assumed that I was good at it, but not great in the least.

Now, I see that my board reading skills were mediocre at best. I could spot the obvious board and all, but there were times some boards I would have to think about for a couple of seconds or think of "putting the pieces together" and not always with great success. But now, I look at a board, and I can see things I never would have been able to see before.

Is this something that any other players coming from limit to NL play ahve noticed in their games?

Also, I feel that my hand reading skills are improving, too. I still make mistakes, and sometimes don't think ALL THE WAY THROUGH a situation, but I would guess that I may have improved my hand reading skills in NL a good bit in 2 weeks. I would say that 2 weeks ago, I may have been a 4 (scale of 1-10) in hand reading, but now, I feel that I'm at a 5 pushing the 6 envelope.

I'm not bragging or anything, it just seems odd that I'm noticing these things now, after taking up NL play.

I DO still need to learn some betting patterns and what type of plays work in specific situations. I believe that this is my biggest downfall right now while playing, but I'm sure it will come with time and experience. That and knowing when to make a move and when to playit safe, as I play it safe way too much, I think.

Any thoughts about this?