PDA

View Full Version : River action

Homer
03-11-2004, 10:34 PM
Party 2/4. My two main opponents in this hand are somewhat loose with average aggression (which by Party standards means they are tight-passive) and are non-tricky.

MP1 limps, MP2 limps, I limp from the CO with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, button limps, SB raises, BB calls, the rest of us call with the exception of MP1, who pulls the highly underrated limp-fold. Five to the flop, 11 SB's in the pot.

Flop - 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets, BB calls, MP2 calls, I call, button calls. Five to the turn, 8 BB's in the pot.

Turn - T /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked around to me, I bet, button and MP2 call.

River - 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I .....

-- Homer

Georgia Peach
03-11-2004, 10:45 PM
You bet, all the rest fold as their pitiful attempt to draw the straight fails.

Homer
03-11-2004, 10:52 PM
You bet, all the rest fold as their pitiful attempt to draw the straight fails.

Are you guessing that this is what I did or saying it's what I should do?

Am I getting paid off here more often than I'm being called by a better hand?

-- Homer

JTG51
03-11-2004, 11:04 PM
I bet.

I think you are a favorite to have the best hand, and with two opponents you'll often get paid off in at least one place. I wouldn't be shocked if one had A4, the other had 65, and they both pay you off.

JDErickson
03-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Ok, I;ll take a stab

If it wasn't for the damn T on the turn I would say definately bet. In thinking of the majority ot the hands these fish will limp with a TJ, KT, AT or QT are definate possibilities.

I think I would check and call a bet on this hand. You may lose but you may also flush out a KQ or similar hand.

Jim

umdpoker
03-11-2004, 11:16 PM
check-call river to try and induce bluffs from people with ace high or other crap that might not call a river bet. this way you don't have to worry about getting raised by anybody. also, if it comes back to you with 2 cold you can fold.

JTG51
03-11-2004, 11:20 PM
check-call river to try and induce bluffs from people with ace high or other crap that might not call a river bet.

There's only one player behind Homer and he was described as having average aggession. I doubt he's going to try to bluff two players out on the river very often.

If one bet is going to go in on the river, Homer's hand will be good a much higher percentage of the time when he bets and gets called than when he checks and calls.

Homer
03-12-2004, 12:38 AM
JTG expressed my thoughts quite well. I instinctively checked the river without evaluating the situation, and immediately realized I might have made a mistake. It's not often that betting into two opponents on the river with third pair is proper, but I believe this was one of those rare situations. My opponents were straightforward, so I was sure that neither had a slowplayed straight or set. Additionally, MP2 would have bet the turn with a T and button would have raised my bet, so I can likely rule that out. An 8 is not likely to have helped anyone, as it does not complete any obvious draws. Once in a while, the button might show me a T, or button or MP might have backed a flush draw into a pair of 8's, but I think most of the time I'm getting paid off by a weaker 6 and maybe worse, given the size of the pot.

-- Homer

Barry
03-12-2004, 01:37 AM
I assume that it's checked to you on the river.

I would guess that the other folks are on a draw, so there're not going to call if they miss. I'm not sure that this is a case of a value bet so much as can you get a better hand to fold. If one of the draws caught a T or 8, they're not likely to to fold for 1 bet on the river. So I would check it through here. I would probably fold if the button bets.

slavic
03-12-2004, 02:26 AM
Homer I have to think that the 8 changes nothing and a T should have spoken up. The problem is that many of the passives just don't know how to bet, but your saying they aren't that way.

This one I bet and hold my nose, I'm should lose half of these after all.