PDA

View Full Version : What a joke

Anadrol 50
03-11-2004, 09:38 PM
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/indecencybill_03-11-04.html

ThaSaltCracka
03-12-2004, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"This is going to become a very dark day in American history. We're going down the slippery slope of limiting our Constitution and the protections that it gives to the American people," Rep. Gary Ackerman, D-N.Y., told Reuters. Ackerman added: "To impose a fine on speech you don't like..has a freezing-out effect where people will be afraid to speak out."

[/ QUOTE ]

yet another reason to dislike the Jackson Family. However the blame for this stupid bill is all of the "moral" Republicans who want to return decency to TV. Whatever happened to parental control.

Oski
03-12-2004, 02:55 AM
I believe that if people do not like what you have to offer, they can vote with their feet and leave. The market is sensitive enough to let the media give its audience what it wants. I think it is overbearing to add more regulation to television, and completely unnecessary. If the citizenry of the U.S. are truely offended by Jackson's stunt, CBS will suffer in the market place. - But, it really won't, because the whole "outrage" is a bunch of f'n bullshit.

- The Jackson incident merely provides a chest-thumping platform for those yahoo's playing to the audience. They know a political advantage can be gained on the cheap, without really having to engage anyone's brains.

- PokerPlayer21, this may certainly belong under the United State of hypocrisy title.

Al_Capone_Junior
03-12-2004, 10:49 AM
what a surprise, an [censored] from texas is all for it.

Gee I didn't think Janet was so hideously ugly they needed to make a new law just for her.

al

elwoodblues
03-12-2004, 10:53 AM
It seems like everyone is for letting the market (or the states) decide issues until they disagree with the decision...then it's off to the feds.

adios
03-12-2004, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems like everyone is for letting the market (or the states) decide issues until they disagree with the decision

[/ QUOTE ]

markets == states? I don't think so. The FCC is a national regulatory commission. I think the network companies have to share the blame. How could a family watching the Super Bowl have exihibited parental control? Here's a couple excerpts from the article:

The bill, called the Broadcast Decency Enforcement Act of 2004, would give the Federal Communications Commission the authority to fine broadcasters as much as $500,000 per violation, substantially higher from the present maximum fine of $27,500. The fine for a performer would jump from $11,000 to $500,000 for deliberately violating FCC decency regulations.

Looks like the rules are the same but the consequences of breaking the rules are much more severe.

Federal law and FCC rules restrict TV and radio broadcasters from airing content that refers to sexual and excretory functions between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., when children are most likely to be tuned in. Cable and satellite TV and satellite radio do not face such restrictions, though Congress has debated whether decency standards should extend to cable and satellite.

Have the rules themselves changed or have the consequences for breaking the rules changed or both or neither?