PDA

View Full Version : FOLD THAT!!!

deacsoft
03-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Just wanted to get it out there once and for all. Rarely a day passes that I don't see someone raising and reraising with pocket Kings and a four flush on the board that they have no piece of. Same goes for Aces with straights and flushes, and who could forget big slick without a pair and a raise back at 'em on the river. For the love of all, LET IT GO!

Don't get me, wrong I love the people that are just building up the pots by raising with a hand like big slick after hitting nothing and I have the nuts. I just want to do my part to help (as seems to be the great purpose of this site) and make a final plea to those of you who are new to poker or just haven't yet figured this one out.

I know when you get that huge pocket pair or big slick the blood starts pumping and you think that after 67 hands of folding, "it's my turn to take one down". Now you've got Kd-Ks in EP2. You raise and since there are a few fish on the table so you get some of that action you were looking for. A couple of decent players call as well, and one even raises. You cap it and everyone of the original callers is along for the ride. A pot waits in the middle with your name all over it. Here comes the flop... 8h, 7c, 10h. You come out betting 'cause you've been waiting all day for those Kings or Aces and now you've got 'em (and it's the correct play). There's a fold and then a raise. Now you're thinking, "what the hell is this guy so proud of?" It's reraised and eventualy capped by you 'cause you won't be pushed around. Everyone calls. You can't believe it. Turn comes Ah. You come out betting because pocket king are such a great hand and you can't possibly fold them. It's capped back at you. Four other players remain in the pot. You call in shock wondering how this could happen to you. The river brings the 9d. You check and it's capped to you again, and agian after a huge battle of your fight or flight instincts you call in disbelief. It's clearly hopeless. Pot odds or no pot odds. Huge pot or small pot. Pocket kings or 7-2o. YOU'RE SMOKED!!! The first player shows Ac-9d for 2 pair. The second player shows As-Ad for trips. The next player shows Jc-9s for a straight. The last shows 6h-7h for the flush and the winning hand. Your hand is shown and muckedbefore them all. Your hand should have been folded long ago.

I know this example is extreme, but is just to show that there are numerous ways that your huge hand can be beat down to a pulp. The odds of all of them happening at once are slim and none. The point is good starting hands can be hard to get away from but sometimes must be mucked. Live to fight another day. Hope this helps someone.