PDA

View Full Version : Hand against Devilfish

Acesover8s
03-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Not sure if this hand is terribly interesting or not, but I might as well show what a wimp I am.

$5-$10 NLHE 7 handed. Devilfish has been playing has been switching from solid to playful back and forth. In this hand he is in the BB with $1898. It is folded to me ($1915) in MP and I make it $40 to go with AhTs. Only the Devil hisself calls.

Flop comes K8K with two spades. He pots it and I think and fold.

SomeName
03-11-2004, 06:08 PM
i agree that this hand isnt terribly interesting.

Richie Rich
03-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Not a comment about the hand, but rather the types of games you're playing in. From reading your other posts, I see that you're playing .5/1 NL and 5/10 NL -- probably some more in between. However, these games couldn't be more different than day and night. In one you're playing your cards, and the other you're playing the player. Think you should focus your game to a specific limit/range in order to stay on target.

ps~ i don't think devilfish had one of the kings...but he was 95% sure that you didn't either. Like I said before, at that limit, he played the player.

Acesover8s
03-11-2004, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not a comment about the hand, but rather the types of games you're playing in. From reading your other posts, I see that you're playing .5/1 NL and 5/10 NL -- probably some more in between. However, these games couldn't be more different than day and night. In one you're playing your cards, and the other you're playing the player. Think you should focus your game to a specific limit/range in order to stay on target.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate your comment here. Although I don't know if it necessarily applies to me. I move around between games and limits more than any player I have spoken to. I have played at limits from .50-1.00 to 15-30 limit holdem, PLO from .10-.25 to 3-6. 7 stud, triple draw, ad infinitum.

I do not think I am a very good NL player, but I do think I have good game selection, which I usually exercise (obviously today sitting with devilfish and another 2+2er was not indicative of this). And generally when I play higher limits the games are quite good.

For example, when I played in the $5-10 the other night there was one player who was moving all in post flop every hand that was checked to him. Even if I am the second worst player at the table, this alone makes it worthwhile to sit.

On this hand I do not think Devilfish had much of a hand either, but he had been making some gutsy "three-raises" and would not have been surprised if he would've called my reraise with a small pair or an 8.

Acesover8s
03-11-2004, 06:30 PM
Perhaps you're right and perhaps I shouldn't have posted it, sorry if I offended you.

What I thought was interesting about this hand was that I know Devilfish is capable and is most likely making a play at me on this hand. But even though I know that I am still incapable of countering it.

If I reraise the flop it becomes obvious I do not have a King, so he can move in. If I just call, and plan on making a move on the turn a scare card might hit that causes me to chicken out there instead.

It is also entirely likely he has a King and he knows that he has a reputation for making plays, so If I have a big pair he is getting my stack this way.

Perhaps the hand isn't interesting, but I think that the ideas around it may be.

AJo Go All In
03-11-2004, 07:38 PM
at the risk of another onslaught, am i the only one who gets really annoyed when people continually say "reraise" when they mean "raise"