PDA

View Full Version : Am I just an idiot?

Guy McSucker
03-11-2004, 02:10 PM
The situation is that I can't win anymore. Two possibilities:

1) I am getting unlucky

2) I am just an idiot.

In the spirit of trying to find out, here's a hand. I'll include the results here because I've already given away the fact that I lost the pot /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pokerstars 25-50c NLHE. I have $66 and pocket 8s on the button.

EP player makes it $2. Two call. I call. SB folds, BB calls. Flop:

J 8 3, two clubs.

Checked round, player to my right bets $2, I raise the pot, $12 more. A few fold, including the preflop raiser. A player in the middle insta-calls. He has a huge stack (> $200) but has been throwing money away for the last 40 minutes. I wasn't at the table to see how he got his big stack. Bettor folds.

Turn: offsuit 7. Well, perhaps he just hit his nine-ten draw. He checks. I bet $20 and get raised $20 more. Sure looks like he hit his draw! But who knows, it could be two pair, or a set of 3s, or quite a few other things I beat, and I'm getting 5 to 1. Perhaps I should move in my last $10, but I chose just to call.

River is an offsuit 6. He sets me in, I call, and he does indeed have the T9.

How would those of you that can actually win at this game have played it?

At this point I started thinking those tilty thoughts we all have from time to time and wisely stood up.

Sorry if this comes over as a bad beat. I don't think it is: I think it's an ordinary hand, and I think I'd probably play it very similarly again, but I also don't think I'm thinking straight. Help!

Guy.

Acesover8s
03-11-2004, 02:38 PM
Guy,

I have played a few hours at the table and have concluded that you are unlucky. I have also concluded that you bring bad luck to those around you. I recall a night where you and I both lost several buyins to a moron who has yet to return to the tables with our money.

Whether or not you are an idiot is up for grabs. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Either way in this hand I like the way you played it until the turn. When he raises you only a rock HAS to have you beat. He could be slowplaying an AJ or semi-bluffing a hand like J9. Put the rest in now since you're going to call the river anyway.

The only other option you have is to overbet the flop since there are lots of draws out there. But on stars you don't really want to kill your action in these already tight games.

Guy McSucker
03-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Hey aces.

Thanks for the reply!

I twigged that I should certainly have pushed in on the turn just after I hit the "submit" button. I might be in front, and if not, the all-in is betting 30 to win 110, which is better than my odds of filling up, just. Of course I don't mind losing to a set of jacks in this situation. Well, I do mind, but I chalk it up to cold decking and get on with my life.

Thanks again. Hoping for more replies, of course!

Guy.

limon
03-11-2004, 04:11 PM

Acesover8s
03-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Hey, its thursday. Only two more days til bath night. . .

And you thought the reason people near you kept requesting seat changes had to do with position.

theBruiser500
03-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Limon, perhaps you could explain why you don't like online poker, or refer me to a post of yours where you've already explained this.

danny

Al_Capone_Junior
03-11-2004, 04:20 PM
I agree the turn is the place to get all-in. Over-betting the pot on the flop is OK by me too, especially in idiotville (aka party). You said stars tho... but it ain't much different how you should have played it.

al

limon
03-11-2004, 05:56 PM
a dude to my left several weekes ago was checking his hole cards in such a way that i could always seee the top card reflected off the rack his chips were in.

on tuesday the player to my immediate right gave an almost imperceptable upturn of the palm before grabbing his chips when making bluff/semibluff. i re-bluffed him out of two pots and folded top 2 pair to a power move of his with no-tell (he showed a straight).

the host and a rich guy bought drinks for the table. the game was so loud it had a gallery. after it started to die down i said, "let me buy another round". (the urinal drank 2 of my beers)

the ex host who is now a mortgage broker got me 5.5% on my refinance.

a hooker propositioned a guy w/13k right at the table.

a big fat armenian guy choked on his gross at the table meal, had food coming out of his nose and still berated the dealer for dealing him out.

a friend of mine told people im on drugs most of the time

need more?

SomeName
03-11-2004, 06:05 PM
well i win at this game, and i would have lost my whole pile on this hand too.

SomeName
03-11-2004, 06:07 PM
nice post /images/graemlins/smile.gif

AJo Go All In
03-11-2004, 08:43 PM
see at least when i insult someone, it has something to do with what they posted, and it's funny. your posts amount to "you smell". has nothing to do with what he posted, and is not funny. do you see why?

Acesover8s
03-11-2004, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
see at least when i insult someone, it has something to do with what they posted, and it's funny. your posts amount to "you smell". has nothing to do with what he posted, and is not funny. do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you still bitter about me beating you the other day?

1800GAMBLER
03-11-2004, 09:22 PM
All that just sounds like what happens with a social life?

limon
03-11-2004, 09:28 PM
yeah, last time i checked poker is a social game. a people game. thats why i dont play limit or on-line, it becomes a card game and playing cards is boring and unprofitable.

Guy McSucker
03-11-2004, 10:16 PM
I wrote

[ QUOTE ]

Hoping for more replies, of course!

[/ QUOTE ]

I take this back.

Guy.

Jon Matthews
03-11-2004, 10:32 PM
Some of the time I get all in on the flop with this hand. I want AJ to call, I don't mind if the straight draw calls, I win more often than he does, and I don't mind if the flush draw calls, he'll fold some of the time so I stay a winner.

Some of the time I reraise all in preflop.

Don't play these stakes, stake your money and play 1/2NL or higher. There's no point taking proper card playing to a pauper stakes table - you've already stopped playing at party for a similar reason. Take your money where a raise is feared rather than just an extra call to make.

Jon.

Absolution
03-12-2004, 12:27 AM
Don't sweat it. The guy called a pot sized bet on an 8-outer draw. You want that. He's losing money on that.

Like the other posters say, if you want to play with people who have a clue about such things, move up a level or 2. Otherwise, you have to deal with the swings of a low level game. That guy has probably lost 10x what he's up right now in the last week.

I know the frustration though. I'm playing with even looser players right now and can really get to you.

AJo Go All In
03-12-2004, 02:26 AM
should i repeat my previous comment, or can you read it again?