PDA

View Full Version : Slow playing backfired

rbenuck4
03-11-2004, 02:07 PM
I play weekly with a few of my buddies, a couple of them are real solid players and a couple are complete fish. The blinds are real small relative to the buy in (0.1 0.2) with about a 20 dollar buy in.

I'm in the BB and its folded to the SB (one of the fishies) who limps in. Now he likes to see lots of flops, and will fold if he hasn't hit, and will call if he has hit. I look down and see 22, so I raise another 50 cents which he calls.

Now the flop came A 10 2 rainbow. He checks and I check right behind him. My feelings are if he had an ace he would've bet at me, and he won't call any bet from me if he hasn't hit the board.

The turn comes a queen putting two hearts on the board, and he checks. This is where my question comes in. Should I check this one as well or bet? I ended up checking, a king fell on the river, and he bet a dollar, and I paid him off when he turned over J 3 for the straight.

I felt that at no point in the hand could I have made a bet to extract more money out of him unless I let him try and catch up. Now if any other card other than a King or a Jack came on the river, I would've been golden. Did I make the right move or were my friends correct in flaming my play for the next couple of orbits.

george w of poker
03-11-2004, 02:24 PM
flop check is ok but it screams that you have a big hand after raising preflop. with so many draws on the board you have to bet the turn. how else are you going to make money of someone that is drawing which he was in this case?

jmark
03-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Yes if you're going to slowplay you have to bet the turn. You said he had nothing, so why would he call a bet on the river?