PDA

View Full Version : Gee, Thanks Andy (you guessed it...LONG)

Josh W
03-11-2004, 08:05 AM
Andy -

In the future, when you write a post that has both "Josh" and "Horrible" in the title, and will get a lot of responses, can ya please capitalize both words, just to make sure the point gets accross???? Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Seriously tho...The other night at Commerce was a blast. As has been mildly hinted at, I was the soft spot in the game...I played dang near every hand. Now, I know that a lot of controversy has been introduced over the years on this forum regarding tipping. I hope that this doesn't degenerate to that, but....

I was enthusiastically welcoming every dealer to our table. One dealer, who I know I've stiffed in the past because of shoddy work, sits down. I say "Hi xxxx, how are you?" as she sits down. Then I tell her "I'm your worst nightmare...I play every hand and don't tip at all!!!" I was kidding of course.

Then, near the end of her down, Gabe raises three off the button. Andy reraises two off the button, Jim folded in the cutoff (for reasons I'll never understand!!), and I cap on the button w/ AQo. Yeah, I failed the AQ test.

Gabe mucked, Andy called, and the flop came rag rag rag.

check check.

The turn was a rag (no, this doesn't imply quads on the board).

check check.

The river brought the 14 of purple horseshoes.

check check, and I said "Your AK is good". Andy tabled AK, and the dealer pushed him the pot. I still hadn't tipped this dealer yet (cuz I hadn't won one bloody pot yet), so I tossed her a buck. As did Andy. He then explained to this thoroughly confused dealer that "we should both tip you, we both had good hands". Of course, I shouldn't have been in it.

A while later, there is a weak limper, and folded to me in the cutoff. I raise with Ad9c. Heads up.

Flop comes Kd Qd 5s, giving me third-nut-no-pair, backdoor nut flush draw, and a runner-runner two pair draw. A veritable monster.

So, weaky limps (an unknown player, not a 2+2er), and I bet, thinking that slowplaying would also be a reasonable option. He checkraised me. So, I call, knowing I'll get him on the turn.

Truth be told, he had checkraised earlier with like QJ on a A94 board. I figured his checkraise to be a sign of weakness, so I would raise the turn, regardless of what it was (so long as it wasn't a 14).

Turn was Ts, ruining my hopes of a flush or two pair, but introducing the fascinating possibility of a straight. He bet and i raised. He then said, and I quote "hmmm". He called.

River was an offsuit Jack, giving me an Almond Joy. He checked, I bet (this should be self explanatory), and he called.

Lets review. He limp/called preflop. He checkraised on a KQ5 flop, and led at a Ten on the turn. River was a Jack, with no flush possible. If you have accurately put this chap on A8o at this point, then you are better than I. You are likely far better than I anyways. Me. I. Tomato Tomatoe.

So, we chopped, and there was an AMAZING lack of conversation regarding this hand following this hand. Not by the 2+2ers in attendance, as they wouldn't criticize either fish's play outloud. But none of the other people at the table so much as batted an eye. And, that sorta pissed me off. When I play like that, I want people to heartily mock me.

Sooooo, lets see.....what else?

Ah, Tommy openraised in late position. I remember now, Andy had a SB on the button, and Jim and I both had big blinds. I don't remember if they called, but I certainly did. Felt like I'd be insulting the dealer if I didn't. I had A3s. Tommy and I had just met a few minutes earlier for the first time ever. So, as I called, I leaned forward and mentioned that I had been waiting for this for years. That was the serious comment I made that night.

Flop was AQ8, one spade. I check/called. Turn was a 2, completing the rainbow. I check/called. River paired the 2, and as I checked, I knew I shoulda bet. Tommy probably woulda had to call with Jack high, the way I was playing (T9 would be a serious possibility for my holding), and this way he couldn't check behind with a weaker calling hand. He checked, and my hand was good.

Andy raised my blind, the chump. He was on the button, and I was in the BB w/ 83s. If you think I mucked, you haven't really been paying attention. I decide to just call, hoping to trap him for extra bets later.

Flop came AQ2, with two spades and one heart. check, check. Turn paired either the Q or A, putting two hearts out there. I decide to stop slowplaying now. I lead out, and Andy folds. I toss my cards in facedown, saying "I can't even show a bluff here". Well, I coulda. There was a hefty chance that I was ahead, tho.

I'm sitting here trying to think of memorable hands the other fellas played. My job would be easier if they actually played some.

Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh....just for Andy. Tommy just got there, and was sweating Andy. He wasn't in the game yet.

I openraised in middle position with 42d. Pretty standard. The button called. He played more hands than me. Quit laughing, I'm being serious. The flop hit me pretty hard, TT9, all black. I bet, he called. I called Houston to discuss a problem we were having.

The turn was a 4. Neat. That looked succulent. I bet, he called. Houston, you still there??? I figured I was either beat at this point, or he had a straight draw...QJ, KJ, J8, 87. River was an 8. Well, gosh. I still beat KJ. I check, ready to muck, and he checked. So, I proudly turn over my hand and announce...

BOTTOM PAIR, BOTTOM KICKER. He showed his KJ as he mucked.

Boo
Yah

Overall, a splendid time was had. Rick, thanks again for the donuts. And carrot juice. But especially the donuts. My cover was blown, these guys now know that my horrendous play at our first rendezvous (at the bike) was not actually alcohol induced, as I didn't drink this time.

And I echo what the others say....there wasn't a better game to be in last night. Great seeing you guys again....I can see that I'll have to play my "A" game sometime to keep affording these outings /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Josh

andyfox
03-11-2004, 01:39 PM
"In the future, when you write a post that has both "Josh" and "Horrible" in the title, and will get a lot of responses, can ya please capitalize both words, just to make sure the point gets accross????"

-Yes, I'll Make Sure To Do So, As A Kind Of Anti-Zee, Anti-Mike L. Statement.

"there was an AMAZING lack of conversation regarding this hand following this hand."

-It did elicit some remarks in the bar afterward. I liked Tommy's, "yeah, that was some interesting action on that hand" comment best. When you showed you ace for the nuts and he had check-called on the river, it did come as a mild surprise that he also had the nuts. Live and learn.

I had played this against him earlier. Limp, limp, I raise on the button with J-9s, knowing Jim will fold his sb and, ridiculously, praying you will fold your BB. The carrot juices must have just arrived, because, miraculously, you did fold.

Flop is J-6-5. Check to me, I bet, only Mr. Loosie calls. Turn is an 8. Check-bet-cll. River is a 7. Check-bet-calll After I tabled my winning J-9 he showed T-4. Over and out.

"Andy raised my blind, the chump. He was on the button, and I was in the BB w/ 83s. If you think I mucked, you haven't really been paying attention. I decide to just call, hoping to trap him for extra bets later.

Flop came AQ2, with two spades and one heart. check, check. Turn paired either the Q or A, putting two hearts out there. I decide to stop slowplaying now. I lead out, and Andy folds. I toss my cards in facedown, saying "I can't even show a bluff here". Well, I coulda. There was a hefty chance that I was ahead, tho."

I had 9-8s. Damn. I could have won all sorts of money had an 8 come on the river.

At one point, I got on a bit of a rush, and raised with what must have been my 8th A-K in about 2 rounds. Josh says, "you're getting to be a pain in the ass," which was true, and after I won the pot and was stacking, he noted, "he's accumulating, he's accumulating," which was also true. Very perceptive guy. And to think, had I moved over just one seat I could have been stealing Tommy's blinds at will, instead of Mr. 8-3 defending and calling out my hands before I show them.

"I can see that I'll have to play my "A" game sometime to keep affording these outings "

-I tried playing every hand the first time with ugly results. I improved from an F to a C this time, but the key difference was not having a complete table of you guys.

Duke
03-11-2004, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And to think, had I moved over just one seat I could have been stealing Tommy's blinds at will, instead of Mr. 8-3 defending and calling out my hands before I show them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to be in a game with Josh on my right, left, or across the table from me. He's one of the few people that I'd be wanting to make a deal with at the end of a tourney if we were heads up, even if I was only gonna get like $400 more than second place money by chip count. Not because I don't like money, but I think the EV would be better.

~D

mike l.
03-11-2004, 03:58 PM
"I openraised in middle position with 42d. Pretty standard."

ok i see what youre trying to do here. youre trying to take my job and do it better. and it's working. now cut it out!

(excellent post! we simply must meet up this saturday at hollywood park for some 40-80. you game?)

Josh W
03-12-2004, 02:43 AM
Shaping up by the minute (literally) to be a pretty weird weekend for me...I think I have a few hours free on Saturday still, tho. You gonna be there in the afternoon? I'll PM you...you still got my number, right?

J