PDA

View Full Version : Road hands: ATo, KK, AK fastroll

Tommy Angelo
03-11-2004, 08:01 AM
I had an A-10 hand too. It was at Ocean's 11. Everyone folded to me in the cutoff and I folded.

Another good hand was when I had KK on the button:

Preflop: UTG raised, a calling-all-hands player called, folded to me and I reraised, UTG called, the caller called, and three of us saw the flop.

Flop: J-9-2 rainbow, with one heart. Check check, I bet, call call.

Turn: A low heart. Check check, I bet, call call.

River: Another low heart. Check check, and they both faked me out perfect here. I really thought I had the best hand. So I bet.

UTG reached for chips. At the same time, the other guy REALLY reached for chips, telegraphing an impending checkraise, or doing a dramatic overact. UTG just called. and the next guy did in fact checkraise. I had plenty of time to prepare for a 6.0 muckflick. UTG made it three bets, the other guy called, UTG showed A-2 of hearts for the nuts, and the other guy showed a flush too.

The winner was in the one-seat, and as the dealer pushed him the pot, the dealer said, "I think your pair of twos were good all the way."

I did my best play yet again which is nothing.

Later in the same $8-16 game ...

The guy on my left played very tight btf, he telegraphs his prelop action every hand, sometimes flagrantly, and he always showed his big starters if there was any legal window to. He was on the button. As the action came around, I had not looked at my cards yet. I was doing this every time specifically so that I would be forced to take note every hand of the intentions of my left hand opponent. I looked at my hand. A-10. I mucked. He raised. Both blind folded. He showed AK.

The fastroll mike mentioned was a hand when I had AK. A player openraised. I reraised. It came down to headsup with me last. The flop was Q-J-x. He tossed in five chips, allin. I called and turned over my hand at the same time. Mike says this was great play. I'll leave it to him to elaborate.

Josh W
03-11-2004, 08:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The fastroll mike mentioned was a hand when I had AK. A player openraised. I reraised. It came down to headsup with me last. The flop was Q-J-x. He tossed in five chips, allin. I called and turned over my hand at the same time. Mike says this was great play. I'll leave it to him to elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've gotten in the habit of always turning my hand up when (n-1) players are allin before the river. I'd be tickled fuschia if others started doing this, too.

Great meeting you. I make frequent trips up north to Sacramento, and will have to swing by a cardroom next time I'm in that half of CA. I'll let you know...

Josh

biggambler
03-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Question: Why not bet and try to steal the blinds with an A T in the CO?

Mikey
03-11-2004, 10:24 AM
because Poker is not a game of cards, it is a game of people.

shemp
03-11-2004, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I did my best play yet again which is nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This exact situation is still one that gives me trouble. I've gone from a pained expression or even protestation, to a look of curious amusement, to now, a hard blink and look at my lap, sometimes I regress to the curious amusement. Still a long way from Nothing.

If you haven't listened to the Velvet Underground's _Oh Sweet Nuthin_ in a while, I commend doing so to you.

Mikey
03-11-2004, 11:09 AM
"I did my best play yet again which is nothing."

I still can't stop that pain shotting through my stomach though.

Tommy Angelo
03-11-2004, 12:54 PM
"still can't stop that pain shotting through my stomach though."

Do you mean the pain over losing the pot? Or the other kind of pain, the costly kind, the table pride.

Poker is about, among other things, making people think you have something other than what you have, right? Is poker supposed to end at the showdown? Apparently nine out of ten players believe poker does end when the betting stops, because that is when they go out of their way to play inverse poker, to do whatever it takes to make sure that their cards and their thoughts and intentions are precisely known by as many who are willing to watch and listen.

My poker sense tells me that it was a good thing that I faked out even the dealer on this hand. But my pride tells me, no. He needs to know how great I am, that I folded those two kings correctly without a hitch. If only he knew, how wrong he was, he would, I would ...

What exactly?

Well, nothing exactly. That's why I don't show, or tell, or even slightly indicate. I play my best poker during the shuffle.

Tommy

mike l.
03-11-2004, 01:15 PM
"I've gotten in the habit of always turning my hand up when (n-1) players are allin before the river. I'd be tickled fuschia if others started doing this, too."

perfect. what was so lovely about the play was that his cards turning face up raced his calling chips to the felt. they were less than a second apart and im not sure which won. it was a beautiful fastroll.

so later we were talking about it and i told tommy that i like doing that too. but i said perhaps if it were a limit or two higher than i normally play i would be more inclined to wait to show until i had to, after all it's a small battle in the information war isnt it? he said that he would fastroll just the same for some reasons ill let tommy elaborate on if he chooses to.

andyfox
03-11-2004, 01:53 PM
Because the guy on his left telegraphed his big hand in advance.

JimRivett
03-11-2004, 02:09 PM
When you are a pedrestrian, prior to crossing a street, you should always look left first, the same applies to poker prior to putting chips into the pot.

Jim

Gabe
03-11-2004, 02:21 PM
I thought you guys looked right.

Clarkmeister
03-11-2004, 02:22 PM
LOL!

Tommy Angelo
03-11-2004, 02:43 PM
"he said that he would fastroll [at high limit]just the same for some reasons ill let tommy elaborate on if he chooses to."

The scariest thing about a super live player in a smaller-than-usual-for-him game is the unpredictability that comes with his not caring about the money. So what would be scarier than a tough player who has demonstrated a lack of caring?

And how to demonstrate a lack of caring, except by donating lose money, which is utterly and always unacceptable?

One way is to show no regard for any showdown convention that is typically held dear by players who care about the money.

Tommy

JimRivett
03-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Very funny, just wait till it's your blind /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Clarkmeister
03-11-2004, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Very funny, just wait till it's your blind /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You know that you only get dealt AA and KK every few hours, right? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Gabe
03-12-2004, 12:24 AM
....Jim's from London. In that town, if you look left before crossing the street (like normal people do) you'll get killed.

Avarice
03-12-2004, 05:01 PM
This post is excellent. You are a modern-day poker Nietzche.