PDA

View Full Version : Dell 2001FP compared to other monitors - Some questions...

golgi11
03-10-2004, 02:45 PM
I was just wondering what the difference was between the Dell 2001FP, regular flat screen monitors, and regular monitors? Does it have better picture quality or resolution? I don't understand why it is the best, but I would like to know. Someone please fill me in.

Thanks to anyone that helps

DrSavage
03-10-2004, 03:50 PM
All LCD monitors have better picture quality than mass-market CRT ones, so that is easy. In terms of picture quality Dell is nothing outstanding but nothing to complain about either.
Major problem for LCD is the high response time : the time it takes for a certain pixel to go from black to white and back. It mostly matters for playing computer games for instance, since the low response time on a LCD ( usually 25-30 ms) creates the blurry picture ( every moving pixel has a "trace") which is also very bad for your eyes. Dell has very low response time of 16ms which lowers this effect considerably.

scotnt73
03-10-2004, 03:57 PM
also be careful when orgering monitors. flat screen is really a type of crt(heavy) monitor with a flat screen for anti glare that i have at work. people nowdays use this term interchangeably with the thin lcd monitors. if you order a flatscreen online make sure you are in fact ordering an lcd(thin) monitor not a flatscreen (crt) monitor.

Redmen62
03-10-2004, 04:08 PM
I'm sure this has been mentioned elswehere but it's important enough to mention again. When dealing with LCD monitors, and especially with mail-order delivery, know the vendors/manufacturers dead-pixel policy before ordering.

LCD monitors involve a notoriously finicky manufacturing process, and it is not unusual for monitors to display stuck or dead pixels whivh will either not fire at all or remain one color perpetually. The amount of pixels required before a refund or exchange is made varies from company to company.

If this is all old news to you, ignore it, but as I said it's important for anyone who hasn't looked into it before dropping big bucks on a display.

- Redmen62