PDA

View Full Version : Checkraise the turned top pair with AQs?

dirty_dan
03-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Only my second hand at the table. I've played with some of the opponents before and theres a few that see over 50% of their flops.

MP, CO-1, CO, button all limp. I raise with A/images/graemlins/heart.gifQ/images/graemlins/heart.gif in the SB. BB folds, limpers all call.

Flop (11sb): 3/images/graemlins/club.gif6/images/graemlins/heart.gif8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check my overcards and backdoor flush to see what the action is behind me. CO-1 bets, button calls, I call, MP calls.

Turn (7.5bb): A/images/graemlins/club.gif

Automatic checkraise or lead out?

Jezebel
03-10-2004, 01:44 PM
Dan,
When you check the flop after raising preflop from the small blind, most of your opponents will put you on big cards, most likely with an ace.

The ace on the turn might be a scare card for your opponents and they are more likely to check it through. I would be more inclined to c/r if you turned a queen, as it is not as itimidating. However, if you think they will bet it for you, then c/r is not a bad play.

Joe Tall
03-10-2004, 02:27 PM
Bet out and hope for over-calls. There is no reason to check-raise and shut out possible callers with your top pair.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Jezebel
03-10-2004, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is no reason to check-raise and shut out possible callers with your top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your top pair is not exactly bulletproof. Shutting people out when you hold top pair is rarely if ever a mistake. As the board stands you are vulnerable to 45, 57, 79, any club, anyone with a pair. The pot has 7.5 BB on the turn. By leading out with a bet, all of the above hands are getting proper odds to call. His checkraise may be incorrect for other reasons, but fearing that you will shut out the field is not a reason to avoid checkraising.

Joe Tall
03-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Shutting people out when you hold top pair is rarely if ever a mistake

True, yet this situation deserves overcalls instead of a chance to miss bets.

As the board stands you are vulnerable to 45, 57, 79, any club, anyone with a pair

Do you really think that a clown holding this is folding? What games do yo play in?

Peace,
Joe Tall

Jezebel
03-10-2004, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
True, yet this situation deserves overcalls instead of a chance to miss bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about gaining multiple bets from multiple opponents on the expensive street? It would appear that the opponent to heros left is the most likely candidate to bet on the turn. If it is checked through, it is not ideal, but also not tragic since no overcards can fall to our pair.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think that a clown holding this is folding? What games do yo play in?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they probably will not fold. Thats all the more reason to charge them double to see the river.

The point is, if hero thinks one of his three opponents will bet in this spot, checkraising is a very viable option. If we shut a few people out, thats fine. If we collect multiple bets on the turn, even better. As long as it gets bet, we are in good shape. Even if it doesn't get bet, we don't have to fear overcards. When those two parameters exist, it makes for decent checkraising attempts in my opinion.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
03-10-2004, 10:26 PM
The other issue with checkraising is that you *will* usually get 3-bet by A3, A6, A8.

dirty_dan
03-10-2004, 10:57 PM
True, and at that point I'd have to call and hope to river two pair that doesn't fill him up.

Joe Tall
03-11-2004, 08:38 AM
Thats all the more reason to charge them double to see the river.

On my drive home after I posted this, I was thinking there would be a response from you saying this. I was just trying to make the point that those draws don't fold in our games, odds or not, we know there. In addition to the fact that you cold be easily 3-bet by A-2pair.

I say we stick with our original advice of betting out.

Peace Jez,
Joe Tall