PDA

View Full Version : Folding After Raising Pre-flop

sthief09
03-10-2004, 01:02 PM
I noticed a glaringly small number in my Poker Tracker results that I think might be a big leak. Since I bought the program a few days ago, I've played ~2,200 hands. Granted it's a small number of hands, but this number is small enough that it can be significant.

In 181 pre-flop raises, my first action has been fold only 4 times, or 2.21%. Basically I bet, raise, or call slowplaying. I think I should be folding a lot more when I get flops like AQ with my JJ, or rags with AK, but instead I raise, trying to get heads up and a cheap showdown.

Is this a leak? Thanks.

Mike Gallo
03-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Is this a leak? Thanks.

Post the specific hand.

sthief09
03-10-2004, 01:31 PM
This is clearly me just being impulsive and not considering the size of the pot. The pot is so small, and just about every decision I make following my pre-flop raise is wrong.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

Preflop: duffman09 is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, duffman09 raises, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB bets, duffman09 raises, Button calls, SB calls.

I have 3 options when it comes to me. Fold, raise, or call. If I call, I basically have 4 outs and hope that they don't have me beat. This, to me isn't an option because I'm submitting to the SB, calling with nothing but hope. I can raise for a cheap showdown. But I have a drawing hand, so raising is doing nothing but driving out the button player, giving myself even worse drawing odds. Then I can fold, and concede the 3 BB pot (less because of rake).

Turn: (6 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, duffman09 bets, Button folds, SB calls.

I bet for some unknown reason, maybe hoping they will fold or something.

River: (8 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB bets, duffman09 calls.

This is really aggrivating. I bet the turn for a free showdown, and the bastard bets into me again.

Final Pot: 10 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 10 BB, between SB and duffman09.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (10 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Ac 9h (two pair, aces and queens).
duffman09 shows Jd Jh (two pair, queens and jacks).
Outcome: SB wins 10 BB. </font>

Schmed
03-10-2004, 01:36 PM
I str8 fold this to the SB's bet.

sthief09
03-10-2004, 01:45 PM
MP1 is extremely loose and extremely aggressive. He does things beyond reason.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

Preflop: duffman09 is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button raises, duffman09 raises, BB calls, MP1 raises, Button calls, duffman09 calls, BB calls.

Flop: (16 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
duffman09 bets, BB calls, MP1 calls, Button folds.

Uncoordinated flop (aside from the Q), so I bet to try to narrow it down.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
duffman09 checks, BB checks, MP1 checks.

River: (9.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
duffman09 checks, BB checks, MP1 bets, duffman09 calls, BB folds.

MP1 would be anything in this situation, so I called hoping my high cards were good.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 11.50 BB, between MP1 and duffman09.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP1 (11.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
duffman09 shows As Ks (one pair, queens).
MP1 shows Ah 3c (two pair, queens and threes).
Outcome: MP1 wins 11.50 BB. </font>

Mike Gallo
03-10-2004, 01:46 PM
I would have taken the free card on the turn. When he called your turn bet, I most likely would have folded the river.

I do not think you played the hand badly.

dirty_dan
03-10-2004, 01:49 PM
I probably would have bet the turn. If someone was slowplaying a Q on the flop, they'd let you know about it by raising on the turn. You could safely fold to a raise. If you're called and that J/images/graemlins/club.gif hits the river I'd probably check and fold. A call on the end probably wouldn't be bad though.

Schmed
03-10-2004, 01:57 PM
this is another one where I would be thinking I'm dead. Player dependant but lag raisers scream Aces, Kings, or if savy/tricky player and alot of people in the pot Axs.

Okay so I cheated and just looked at the results......I would take notes on the guy and I rarely take notes I mean what are you going to do here. You want guys like that in there. I think this hand was a function of the stakes