PDA

View Full Version : flopping top set and letting them in cheaply

Tyler Durden
03-10-2004, 12:10 PM
2 table SNG on Stars for $10.

Blinds are 15/30, I have T1465 and we started with T1500.

Three limpers to me in the CO and I limp with 99. 7 way flop.

Flop is 954 rainbow. Checked to me and I bet T110 into a pot of T210. One of the MPs call.

Turn is a Jack. He checks and calls my bet of T215.

River is a Ten. 954JT. He checks, I bet T310, he moves in for T195 more.

I call.

What do you think of my overall play?

citizenkn
03-10-2004, 01:05 PM
I like to weak play sets as well, although it opens up the risk of letting others draw to their straights or flushes. I generally won't slow play a set when there are big connnectors on the board or 2-3 of a suit. Of course, if the board is paired, I'd love for them to hit their hand, so that's another story. There's nothing finer than limping with pocket twos and seeing a flop of A-A-2......

LetsRock
03-10-2004, 01:56 PM
I think your flop bet was a little light (there is some coordination on the board for a 7 way flop) but not awful, but your turn bet was too small. When the J hit, the possibility for a straight draw became much more likely.

Even though it turns out he needed a gutshot (assuming he hit his straight) and you didn't give him correct odds to draw to that your turn bet gave him pretty close odds if he had an open ender. (Not quite, but close enough that it would have been hard for someone against the wall to pass on.)

Maybe he didn't even have the draw, (J9?) but you have to make sure you're forcing mistakes if you're going to allow them to draw on you. I would have probably bet him all-in on the turn.

On the river, you gotta call it - his bet is pretty small for that pot.

jwvdcw
03-11-2004, 12:45 AM
I'm all in favor of slowplaying a flop like that. Although, it will indeed come back to get you sometimes, I think that it is a good move more times than not.

Moonsugar
03-11-2004, 10:32 AM
I would check the flop in many situations. Maybe check 70% bet 30%. I am hoping for an ace or king to hit on the turn if i check.

The turn i turn up the heat, bet the pot.

River you played great.

Hope you won.

ohkanada
03-11-2004, 11:36 AM
I think your bets were a tad too small. I would bet maybe 150 or so. With 7 limpers someone likely has a draw or a pair with a bigger kicker.

Same on the turn, bet a bit more.

Ken Poklitar